Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 29-11-2008 , 11:19 PM

2nd Attempt and modeling a Car

This is my 2nd attempt at modeling, my first attempt didn't turn out that great but i think this one looks better, tell me what you guys think

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mklem3; 29-11-2008 at 11:21 PM.
# 2 30-11-2008 , 12:56 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Looks like a good start, a bit boxy, but it's not smoothed yet, so no problem there.

Is it the Mazda RX8?

Maybe you could post some shots of the geometry?

nice start!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 3 01-12-2008 , 02:56 AM
Subscriber
looks great for your second model.., try not to turn back if 'it dosnt look great'.., that doesnt matter.., best try to finish it.

if it gets too much though.., move on.., you are learning all the time.., but that being said.., it doesnt mean a lot if you cant finish a model.

i know.., it takes sooo long

take it easy and life will be easy
# 4 01-12-2008 , 07:03 AM
thanks for the replies I have an updated image i need to stuff around with the edges around the door and bonnet ill post more updated images soon

I have also added a glass effect to the windows

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mklem3; 01-12-2008 at 08:27 AM.
# 5 02-12-2008 , 06:13 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
can we see some wires??
also abit too boxy

# 6 02-12-2008 , 09:07 AM
this may sound stupid but how do i make it more rounded??

Last edited by mklem3; 02-12-2008 at 09:14 AM.
# 7 02-12-2008 , 11:28 AM
it looks like you're trying to build the car from one piece, when in reality a car is made from hundreds of different components - if you're trying to make a realistic car then i would focus on making the various parts seperately.

are you doing this from a tutorial? if not then i would highly recommend finding a decent car tutorial (check out sm's tutorial or do a google search). building a car can be hard, so having someone show you how can really help.

Originally posted by mirek03
looks great for your second model.., try not to turn back if 'it dosnt look great'.., that doesnt matter.., best try to finish it.

last, i would actually disagree with this statement. (sorry mirek, but you do know that i am a contrary git) if it doesn't look great than i would actually advise starting again. i think it's far better to realise that something isn't going the way you planned, swallow your pride and start again, than to just slog away and hope it gets better. by starting again you'll find that you get to the same stage far quicker the second time round, your model will probably be a lot better and you'll probably work out better solutions for doing things, rather than trying to just polish a turd....

# 8 02-12-2008 , 12:33 PM
Subscriber
And I would agree with Arran "are you doing this from a tutorial? if not then i would highly recommend finding a decent car tutorial." That would be the biggest first step in modeling a car. Alot of things to understand and tools you use. Seems you have a desire, and a good tutorial would be a way to get started.

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 9 02-12-2008 , 05:36 PM
I disagree with Arran though user added image There's tons of people that start a new project every week and NEVER finishes one because they got tired of it or got stuck on a problem. So finish what you started, then if it's crap do it again - but better.

# 10 02-12-2008 , 09:08 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
I disagree with Arran though user added image There's tons of people that start a new project every week and NEVER finishes one because they got tired of it or got stuck on a problem. So finish what you started, then if it's crap do it again - but better.

... or start again using the knowledge you've gained thus far to build a better foundation and model this time around. Plan ahead, look for good reference (most important part of the project), follow a tutorial, pre-plane your Geo. Ask for help here.

Trust me by the time you finish the model your working on now, you could have a model that look twice as good. But i can't guarantee that. If you put in the effort you will reap the reward, sooner or later.

In the end it's up to you! Do you feel comfortable carrying on with the model as is? Then do so. You can only get better the more you model.
Are you willing to put in the work to start again? The do so.

Anyway, nice work. Can we see some wires?

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 11 03-12-2008 , 04:51 AM
hey guys I know the model crap so I am going to start over I have already modeled the bonnet and it looks alot more rounded this time around here is a pic

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 03-12-2008 , 10:53 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
my oh my so much help out here..... well i owe all my modelling skills to this website

now about your model for finality use mesh smooth only once the part being modelled is done and store the low poly model somewhere just in case for back up and again post some wires so that we can tell if you might run into a snag

Last edited by murambi; 03-12-2008 at 10:55 PM.
# 13 03-12-2008 , 11:38 PM
ok here is a wireframe

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 03-12-2008 , 11:44 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
ok i can see you have some triangles which can be avoided try as much as possible to get quads

also to show a wires go to viewport> shading>wireframe on shaded

# 15 03-12-2008 , 11:49 PM
ok but apart from those triangles it looks ok