Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 06-04-2008 , 11:16 PM

resting particles

If I wanted to make particles that stayed in place until they were disturbed, (think a pile of sand being kicked) would I make the ground collide with the particles, play the dynamics until they settled on the ground and then set that as the start position for the particles, and turn off the forces until I need them to move? Or is there a way to make them already on the ground and have them not move until I key a force to effect them?

# 2 07-04-2008 , 06:34 AM
Subscriber
You could use a particle grid and then key the forces, but other than that the simplest way would be the way you have described it.

Chris

# 3 07-04-2008 , 04:22 PM
Thanks. My computer at home can hardly handle Maya, so I can't really try it until Monday, but I want to know what I'm doing when I get to it!

# 4 07-04-2008 , 04:24 PM
Agreed.
Looks like you are on track.

There are many ways to do certain things in Maya, and each way has its' own uses for different results.

So, stick to your plan, and you should be fineuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 07-04-2008 , 04:31 PM
That's good to know. I don't have much experiance with particles or dynamics, and the fact that I need to work on this annd can't is driving me nuts>

# 6 07-04-2008 , 11:35 PM
Is the machine you must use for this not ideal for the shot?
Or is it that you have way too many particles in your viewport?

Just curioususer added image

A rule I always stick with personally is to only emit a very small amount of particles just to get the sim to ACT correctly, then I'll up the rate as needed for the final render to get the LOOK I wantuser added image

Most times this is fine.

Sometimes, however you have no choice, lol.

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 7 07-04-2008 , 11:46 PM
In this case it is the computer.

I'm actually just waiting for some checks to clear at the bank before I get a new one, but right now I have a 7 year old computer at home.

I really can't believe it can even run Maya as well as it does. It's running way below the minimum system requirements for 2008 on the Autodesk website. I've been needing a new computer for a while, and my tax return should clear tomorrow, so I'll finally get it!

# 8 08-04-2008 , 11:47 AM
Sweet!

Yeah, I just got myself a new rig as well, so I know how the waiting game feelsuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com