SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / plugin export question

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

26-06-2003, 07:53 AM   #1
Trimeister
Subscriber

plugin export question
Hello Everyone,

I have looked through this forum to locate a section that I can post a question about plugin export but I can't seemed to find anything that is close therefore I thought I drop this question at the top.

If I'm in the wrong area please let me know and I will repost the question otherwise here is the question.

I downloaded ActorX plugin which allow me to export my Maya model to a format that then can be imported from Unreal Tournament Editor. The link is http://udn.epicgames.com/pub/Content..._Export_Tools.

I have put the .mll file in Maya's \bin\plug-ins folder and also I checked 'loaded' and 'auto load'. I restarted Maya but then this is where I'm lost on what to do next.

What do I need to do to export my model..using the ActorXTool.mll?

Can you guys help?

Thanks

TC
26-06-2003, 10:25 AM   #2
kbrown

Wild guess: File -> Export (option box) and choose the correct export format...

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
26-06-2003, 11:06 AM   #3
BabyDuck
Subscriber

no it is not file -> export.

the file you downloaded has crap documentation - none. the link you provided says "There will be differences between the documentation here and the product in your hands, and you may have to figure out quite a bit for yourself." and that holds truth. you can open your pluginmanager and hit the [I] for information. it will tell you which commands the plugin provides. each of them opens a window to set options and export something. it is more trial and error than anything usable at first look at it.

good luck if you are dependant on this plugin
26-06-2003, 12:23 PM   #4
kbrown

Eheh... nice "plugin" :p

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
26-06-2003, 12:38 PM   #5
roach105
Subscriber

As far as I remember the Unreal PLugin only works with Maya PLE that ships with the game. Commercial versions cannot run this plugin. This is going back awhile don't remember to well.
26-06-2003, 12:40 PM   #6
roach105
Subscriber

just checked there website and seems to be a plugin that does work with commercial version....My bad!!!
26-06-2003, 02:43 PM   #7
Trimeister
Subscriber

You're right BabyDuck not much useful doc for the plugin. Its mostly trial and error on how to get the plugin to work. And I have trialed and errored on this plugin but no such luck. I went into the [I] and see the commands. I ran this command
'utexportmesh c:\projects\characters\scenes\char01.mb' from the script editor but I got this
// Error: utexportmesh c:\projects\characters\scenes\char01.mb; //
// Error: Syntax error //

Any suggestions anyone?
26-06-2003, 03:50 PM   #8
BabyDuck
Subscriber

just type the commands ALONE in the command line.

e.g.

utexportmesh

and then fill out the popping up window
26-06-2003, 09:14 PM   #9
Trimeister
Subscriber

Hi BabyDuck,

I executed the command 'utexportmesh' alone in the script editor but didn't get any popup window. It did displayed this

utexportmesh;
// Result: utexportmesh command executed.
//

Does the popup window suppose to ask what file to load and where output destination file needs to go? Something like that?

Thanks,
TC
26-06-2003, 09:58 PM   #10
BabyDuck
Subscriber

could be that you have to set up options in the other boxes first - try the others commands first
27-06-2003, 12:24 AM   #11
Trimeister
Subscriber

You're right BabyDuck, its the axbrush command. Thank you for your tips.

TC