Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 21-04-2004 , 06:14 PM

Rage.... need help with Depth of field

Hey bro.... can you explain the best why to use this option? I haven't had too before and im not geting the results I want.

I want my frog to be nice and clear and the back ground to be blured... I can get a render where he's about 80 percent clear but not as nice as I want... Any suggestions... I can e-mail you the file if you need to look at it more..

Thanks dude...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 2 21-04-2004 , 07:20 PM
No need buduser added image

2 ways, both done in post rather than in Maya.
(best to always to dof blur in post cause you have way more control)

WAY 1: (cheap and easy)
Make a tighter, less "gradual" radial gradient around your frog in your compositing app, then track it to your frog and use it as a dof blur channel.

Way 2: (what I do most often)
Grab the YUYA DEPTH SHADER from the shader section off another "highend" 3d website, hehe, then when you've completed rendering your Maya scene, save it as a depth.mb file, then select everything and apply that shader to all.
It will "simulate z-depth" distance from camera at render-time for you without having to mess with the cam settings.

Hope that helps ya a bituser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 21-04-2004 , 07:31 PM
Thanks bro will try it soon.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 4 23-04-2004 , 03:26 AM
No probuser added image Hope they might help youuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 28-04-2004 , 08:54 PM
Rage another question for you mate.... I have made some rain using dynamics> blobby surface so maya can render it with out using hardware rendering...

My question is how can i make the blobs have motion blur?(cant figure this step out.. the images are clean a nice)

I think it would look much better if maya makes the motion blur on the dynamic than me using the static render and trying to add the blur in PS.

Any suggetions?

Thanks Bro..

# 6 28-04-2004 , 11:08 PM
Why not do it with hardware particles? It's not that hard. Motion blur is pretty easy to achieve as well... Render with alpha and z-depth turned on and it's pretty easy to composite on whatever you like in photoshop or in a composition app.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 7 28-04-2004 , 11:24 PM
ya trying that right now......

# 8 29-04-2004 , 12:00 AM

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 9 30-04-2004 , 11:29 AM
Subscriber
Another way of having good control over a rendererd DOF-Effect is using the connection manager, Camera and Aim and the Distance Measure Tool.

I've created a small tutorial for you..no sound, just movie. Techsmith-Codec required...

Techsmith Codec

Depth of Field Tutorial

You can now adjust the effect, by simpy using the F-Stop slider, to adjust how big the sharp area should be. (hopefully it works user added image )

Hope it's made clearly...and if you have any further questions...I'm here ! ;o)

# 10 30-04-2004 , 12:47 PM
The thing is, Maya's DOF isn't photo-accurate in how it blurs things. You'd have more control doing it in post.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 11 30-04-2004 , 01:08 PM
Subscriber
No doubt, that you have more control in post....and it's also my prefered method for creating this effect...now with Photoshop CS, and I've bought some Plugins for this effect -> Frischluft Lenscare

my method just shows, how this can be achieved within MAYA with good control, you just have to use the aim on your goal, and finished...the goal is sharp, everthing is blurred in dependance to it's distance to the camera...was just to show. I know it's not the best way but the best way in MAYA in my opinion

# 12 30-04-2004 , 02:27 PM
Thanks guys you all rock... i'll try it out soon once...I get the metal parts all done...