Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 02-09-2004 , 12:37 AM
Subscriber

Am I on the right track ??

Hello people ! Eugene here.

I'm a beginner of Maya and getting comfy with the modeling part (though still very amateurish).

My ultimate goal is to get into Animation segment. However, i would like to master my modeling skills first before jumping on the animation bandwagon. Am I doing the right thing ? I did this because I figured in order to animate something, I have to create it first right ?

Or should I just focus on animation ?

Thank you for answering my question. user added image

# 2 02-09-2004 , 12:50 AM
Knowing a bit about modeling will help.. But if your true love is animation i would focus a lot more on animation and less time modeling. The lower percent will over a bit of time give you enough of a skill set to be able to produce you own models if the needs ever arrises.

I my self wanted to be a character animator for the longest time when i first started but once I got hit with the modeling bug im 90 percent modeleing and 10 percent animateing. I know how to build my own skeletons and rigs so I can do the animation job when they come around.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 02-09-2004 , 01:59 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the advise ! Cheers mate !

# 4 26-09-2004 , 12:04 PM
i guess if u kno abt the way a model is built you then kno how to animate it...i mean if you are working with low poly models then there is limited movement it can have and therefor in animating you would have to appreciate this. similarly if u know the way in which the model was built it can make it a lot easier to distribute the weight of joints.
My only real advice would be that if u want to be an animator do not get urself roped in to building models all too much. simply because u will create a model and not be totally satisfied with it and you will try more and more to create the image that you have in your head. eventually you will end up with something that is far too complex to animate. what i suggest is that you find someone that can model and animate their models.

but as has already been said its nice to have a little background knowledge

# 5 26-09-2004 , 02:03 PM
The Maya Mountain
The more you know, the better, of course.

But, if animation is what you want to do, it is good to focuson on using simple characters that have a lot of room for motion. Even simple stick-men.

Good luck!

# 6 27-09-2004 , 11:25 AM
For me, animation si as creative as modeling, cuz you can do what artists in Greece couldn't before 2000 years ago,make art move!Imagination doesn't have to be static drawings on the paper, pixels on the screen or just a sculpture.

Art in motion

# 7 27-09-2004 , 11:39 AM
Subscriber
I think that a good animator can make even the most simple thing look fantastic. Take the famous lamps, Luxo (not sure of the other name). They are really simple models but have been animated so well that it doesn't matter.

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog