Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 26-01-2007 , 01:41 AM
Subscriber

WipEout Racing Craft

This is my first proper modelling project (loosely following a tutorial for XSI), so there is much that I can improve on, but I have also learnt a lot and want to progress to the next challenge.

user added image

Thanks goes out to all the people who helped me in making this and deciphering certain XSI tools to use in Maya.

# 2 26-01-2007 , 01:55 AM
Subscriber
Niiiice job ZeroAlarm.

Don't it just feel great to make something new that nearly busts your head open while trying to work it out. 'Specially when you're following a tute for a different software package - I always like doing that because it gives me new ways of looking at things and lets you appreciate the strengths/weaknesses of the software package of choice. I find it's also a pretty good way to learn how to use tools, since more often than not, the one you don't know much about is the closest analogue to the tool being used that you don't have. Experimentation, experimentation..

Now then, with that said - I really like the vents running down the side and on the font of the engines - really helps finnish it off. I really suck at recognising where to add details like that to help finish a model off. Same with colour - it's not a stong point of mine. UV mapping doesn't really faze me too much, but it's what the hell to do with it after I've done that part that hurts my little brain.

Looking forward to seeing whatever comes next.

btw - nice touch with the ship's stats at the bottom - it really seems to work with the model as it is.

Simon.

# 3 26-01-2007 , 02:45 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by enhzflep
Niiiice job ZeroAlarm.

Don't it just feel great to make something new that nearly busts your head open while trying to work it out. 'Specially when you're following a tute for a different software package - I always like doing that because it gives me new ways of looking at things and lets you appreciate the strengths/weaknesses of the software package of choice. I find it's also a pretty good way to learn how to use tools, since more often than not, the one you don't know much about is the closest analogue to the tool being used that you don't have. Experimentation, experimentation..

Now then, with that said - I really like the vents running down the side and on the font of the engines - really helps finnish it off. I really suck at recognising where to add details like that to help finish a model off. Same with colour - it's not a stong point of mine. UV mapping doesn't really faze me too much, but it's what the hell to do with it after I've done that part that hurts my little brain.

Looking forward to seeing whatever comes next.

btw - nice touch with the ship's stats at the bottom - it really seems to work with the model as it is.

Simon.

Yeah it feels awesome to have done this user added image A couple of months ago I wouldn't have though I could model this, but I managed to and I love the feeling user added image
I can't thank you enough for the advice and help you and the other guys gave me - I probably would've given up if it wasn't for the help deciphering all the XSI techniques!
Like you said, I can see the strengths of XSI now, and also some of its weaknesses, and now I know how transfer at least some of the tools between the two packages user added image

The way I figured out where to put detail was to basically sit and look at it and see how balanced it was. For example, the wings were far too simple compared to the engine section, so I just raised a few bits here and there and it seemed to work user added image Actually, saying that, I think the front could use some kind of metal panel effect, but that's something I'll leave to experiment with another project.

I think the next project will be learning how to texture the thing, which I don't have the first clue about, expect that UV maps are like a blueprint and you need to buy a pen tablet and use Photoshop..so I better get spending!

Anyway, thanks a lot and I'll be looking out for your projects!

# 4 26-01-2007 , 08:02 PM
Subscriber
Good job ZA! Looks like a good replica of the Feisar, but of course as you said it needs to be textured for full effect. UV mapping is either something you love or hate. Personally I find it quite therapeutic (spelling?!) so I don't mind it. Just find a half decent tutorial and you'll get it worked out withing a day or two. The texturing is possibly one of the best bits in the whole process as long as you have a good image of the finished product in your mind, as colour really tends to bring a model to life. Again, see Jay's hard surface project in WIP section to see what I mean.

Good luck mate! I wanna see progress real soon user added image

# 5 26-01-2007 , 11:24 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by petrol
Good job ZA! Looks like a good replica of the Feisar, but of course as you said it needs to be textured for full effect. UV mapping is either something you love or hate. Personally I find it quite therapeutic (spelling?!) so I don't mind it. Just find a half decent tutorial and you'll get it worked out withing a day or two. The texturing is possibly one of the best bits in the whole process as long as you have a good image of the finished product in your mind, as colour really tends to bring a model to life. Again, see Jay's hard surface project in WIP section to see what I mean.

Good luck mate! I wanna see progress real soon user added image

Cheers mate! user added image I was looking at the Star wars space fighter DVD set, as they cover modelling and texturing, so I think I might give them a try, and then apply what I learn to this user added image
Hows your WIP going?

# 6 27-01-2007 , 02:52 AM
Nice job ZeroAlarm! Wipeout was the best game ever - looking forward to the next installment which I think is coming out soon. I just hope it's better than Wipeout Fusion!

Your model is looking cool - you should definately get this one textured!

# 7 28-01-2007 , 05:21 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by arran
Nice job ZeroAlarm! Wipeout was the best game ever - looking forward to the next installment which I think is coming out soon. I just hope it's better than Wipeout Fusion!

Your model is looking cool - you should definately get this one textured!

Thanks!
Yep, I have to agree with you on that one! I think I played Pure for so long that my hands seized up, damn ill-placed analogue stick... lol
A new WipEout you say? That will be awesome. Any ideas on what features it'll have?

# 8 28-01-2007 , 05:30 PM
No, I'm afraid not - I just saw a small note on wikipedia saying that sony were developing wipeout 6 to be released on ps3 at some point in 2007.

I missed out on Pure - unfortunately I never got around to getting a PSP.

It might be fun to do some of the other wipeout ships or even design one of your own. I may have to give that a go! user added image

# 9 28-01-2007 , 06:59 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by arran
No, I'm afraid not - I just saw a small note on wikipedia saying that sony were developing wipeout 6 to be released on ps3 at some point in 2007.

I missed out on Pure - unfortunately I never got around to getting a PSP.

It might be fun to do some of the other wipeout ships or even design one of your own. I may have to give that a go! user added image

Check this out. Sounds pretty big!

That's too bad, Pure is a great game. Still, you can get PSPs quite cheaply nowadays and Pure is only about £15 on Ebay, so it might be worth checking out user added image

I've actually started designing some ships myself. One's even turned into a sort of concept car! It's really good fun, so I'd definitely give it a go if I were you! user added image