Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 26-11-2002 , 05:29 PM

which system ?

Hi!
I'm working on buying a new pc at the moment. The only thing that I got so far ist the Ati Radeon 9700 Pro (because i want 2 play, too...user added image).
Which processor, which mainboard and which sort of RAM would you suggest to me?
Does a RAID-system increase the render time- or is a 7200 rpm harddisk fast enough?

THX for your help

CU morpher
# 2 26-11-2002 , 05:57 PM
Subscriber
raid does not increase render time. if you cannot fit the data for one shot into ram, you are lost anyway. and as ram - you not necessary need any special ram, you just need lots of that - something around 1-2 gig would be good to have user added image

# 3 26-11-2002 , 06:31 PM
Subscriber
Actually, when it comes to RAM I would suggest the fastest memory that your motherboard supports. The type of memory (Rambus, SDRAM, DDR) you get depends on your motherboard, but try to go for a Cas latency of 2.0 instead of 2.5. I know that's probably getting technical, but I definately saw an improvement when I upgraded. I currently have 2 sticks of Corsair XMS 512MB @ Cas 2.0 DDR333. Works sweet!!! By the way, if money is no object then Rambus is the way to go.

Also if you were to get a professional video card like the NVidia Quadro4 or any other that's supported by Maya, then the type of memory should not be that big of a deal, since the acceleration will be done by the video card instead of the CPU & memory. When it comes to rendering, faster memory = quicker render time.

Steven C.

Last edited by sdch1000; 26-11-2002 at 07:00 PM.
# 4 29-11-2002 , 01:35 AM
Subscriber
yup, i have 1 gig of rambus(RD) ram, i have seen great imrovements since i had upgraded from my old SD... as for the video card... for a mid-ranged maya card... ATI Rdeon 9700 pro is a very good one... and for games.. its the best. almost.. its neck and neck with the Ti4600... just make sure you get more ram in there.. and for the motherboard apart from upgreadability check for other standard features.... such as firewire, usb2 blah blah blah.. since you are not only gonna do maya on your system... cheers... and hope you get get a good PC to maya user added image

# 5 03-12-2002 , 06:33 PM
Subscriber
from what ive heard the 9700 pro is rather silly, sometimes it doesnt work at all, and there are a lot of driver issues with it user added image it was the card i wanted, now im not sure

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 6 03-12-2002 , 06:54 PM
I have the card and haven't had any problems so far,Nem. I have the latest ATI driver and it really works great and gaming with it is really da bombuser added image

CU morpher