Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 06-08-2008 , 06:55 AM

Oceanshader bumpy

How do I increase the subdivisions in my ocean shader? i’m getting these strange triangular reflections and bumpy surfaces (see below) that seem to be the result of a mesh without many subd’s. Thanks for any help!

user added image

Last edited by adevejian; 06-08-2008 at 07:40 AM.
# 2 06-08-2008 , 08:44 PM
Just a few questions for you before I try and troubleshoot your problem cool? user added image

Ok:

1. What version of Maya are you currently using?
2. Did you start-off your scene using one of the premade sample files from the Visor, such as the HighSeas Ocean Sample file?
3. or did you create a subdiv plane, and attach an ocean shader 2d/3d to it?

Once I know these details I can try and recreate your problem, and we can figure out how to fix it for youuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 06-08-2008 , 10:23 PM
Thanks for the help

1. What version of Maya are you currently using?

2. Did you start-off your scene using one of the premade sample files from the Visor, such as the HighSeas Ocean Sample file?
Yes, I used the HighSeas sample, but I tried tweaking it a bit.

# 4 07-08-2008 , 03:29 PM
Ok, after trying to recreate your problem, I'm left with more questions than answers for you.

The fist problem is that I'm running 8.5 Unlimited, but I really don't think that is the issue here.

I noticed a LOT of funky resolution issues in your shot besides the ridges you circled.

So, what I first tried to mess with was the wave height in the Ocean shader and what I first found was that the sharper the inclination in the height graph, the more visible the mesh triangles became.

So, I made the graph smoother, and they went away.

Might this be one of the things you changed?

If so, try smoothing-out the graph and see if that solves a bit of the triangle problemsuser added image

Lemme know if that helps a littleuser added image

The image below shows my sharp graph at the top, then a large version of my "smoothed" graph.

Attached Thumbnails

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 5 07-08-2008 , 09:53 PM
Thanks I will try that! I think that may be it.

# 6 07-08-2008 , 11:07 PM
Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com