Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-06-2012 , 12:03 AM

Export OBJ file to photoshop WITH smoothing?

Hello all,

I am trying to export an object from a scene I created in Maya. Seems simple enough. I export my selection as an OBJ file and open it in Photoshop. The problem is it does not export with the smoothing feature on. If I check my export option for the OBJ file type the radio button next to smoothing in checked. It is a basic Chalice with textures and half way decent UV mapping. I would really like to play with it in Photoshop next. I suppose I can always save the render in the position I want and save as a PNG to preserve the transparency so it will function as a typical layer. THats an ok work around for now but I should be able to open and manipulate my 3D file in photoshop right? Any help would be great!

Thank you,
RedTick

# 2 04-06-2012 , 03:19 AM
Technical Director
You need to actually smooth the mesh. Pressing "3" just displays the model as smooth, but doesn't actually change the geometry.

You can do this by going to Mesh > Smooth.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 04-06-2012 , 08:07 AM
The thin red line
NextDesign is correct there was no smoothing operation in photoshop CS4, I found the whole 3D stuff in PS a waist of time much better of getting some thing like mudbox but if things have changed please let us know..............dave

# 4 05-06-2012 , 08:17 PM

Thank You!

NextDesign & daverave,

Thank you for your help. That worked perfectly. I had to make sure I had the object selected first but worked great. As far as Photoshop CS5.5 for 3D, its ok. Depends on what you are trying to do. I have the autodesk creative suite and love the idea of mudbox. I am still learning it but I can see plenty benefit for the work I am doing. I us photoshop mainly to place objects that either I download or create for reference on different art peaces I am working on. Nothing more, so in that regard it works fine. I also use schetchbook designer a lot too. Bottom line it will likely never replace any of the autodesk applications but I find it useful to my workflow as it is a tool I am very comfortable with.

Thanks again,
Red Tick

# 5 05-06-2012 , 08:33 PM
The thin red line
Red Tick after posting on your thread I had a look around at CS6 and as you said its more geared to place a 3D item into a photo not realy for texturing(it can but not great) as I first thought, glad it worked for you............dave