Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 11-02-2004 , 03:07 AM
Subscriber

2nd Random Face

As my first attempt to 3d face was a failure i thought i'd give it another go from scratch rather than going crazy with tweaking back the old one into some sort of shape.

Now this second attempt is also completely random with no reference images.

I have no idea of texturing or facial animation and if i don't get bored i will try them out.

but as for now i'll stick it in this WIP section for all of you to have a laugh user added image

Ps: I am also aware that before texturing and animation i should complete the model with more detail

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by splash123; 11-02-2004 at 03:09 AM.
# 2 11-02-2004 , 03:24 AM
Simply Maya OG
Very...interesting, to say the least. Yea....Im gonna leave it at that. user added image

- Hybrid
# 3 11-02-2004 , 04:09 AM
Just a few quick comments that could probably help out with the face. You should first start off by using refernce images, both front and side, and then try to build a face that matches it exactly as this is probably from imagination so it is harder to pick out errs.

Also to create symmetry in your face duplicate it along the negative axis that passes through it, this is usually negative X, then check instance. All you'll have to do from there is work on one side of the face and it will happen to the other side. When you are done combine the Polygons then Merge the vertices together. (The eyes look different)

To help with faces just practice on using refernce images, they could be pictures or sketches, just practice will get you there.

Improve
# 4 11-02-2004 , 07:49 AM
Might want to consider avoiding 5+ sides polygons. I see a few around the eye.

Might want to consider converting to subd to get a smooother look.

# 5 11-02-2004 , 02:01 PM
Simply Maya OG
5 side polys is fine. Only if your gonna keep it poly. If your converting to subd, you might want 4 sided. user added image

- Hybrid
# 6 11-02-2004 , 02:45 PM
at least delete half, and mirror for instant symmetery user added image

Lungs not guns....
# 7 11-02-2004 , 05:27 PM

Originally posted by I-Iybrid
5 side polys is fine. Only if your gonna keep it poly. If your converting to subd, you might want 4 sided. user added image

No way dood. Kill the 5 sided poly's. Because when you go to smooth it you'll get all kinds of crazy edges from Maya trying to find that other 5th point to connect it to. Just simply use the Split Poly tool and run an extra edge to attach that 5th poly to something.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 8 11-02-2004 , 07:52 PM
Interesting work.

-------------------------------------------