Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 24-03-2004 , 08:23 PM

Alpha Shadows

I have a plane in a scene textured with a texture containing an alpha channel (its basically an object on the middle of the plane, with a fully transparent area around it). I was told that any shadows the plane projects will take the alpha channel into account, but as it is the whole plane is projecting a shadow.

Is there something I'm supposed to do to get a shadow only from the non transparent areas of the texture?

# 2 25-03-2004 , 09:25 AM
have you just got an alpha channel in your image or have you mapped it to the transparency channel? What I would do is get the texture's alpha channel and save it out to another file as a greyscale image. Then map that to the transparency texture channel. That will probably give yo ubetter results.

Let me know how you go.
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 25-03-2004 , 04:46 PM
Subscriber
Only raytracing works with alpha-maps so make sure your shadows are raytraced.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 4 25-03-2004 , 05:31 PM
Subscriber
hmmm I tried it out with raytraced shadows just to see, but it didn't work. Without them, all you have is a shadow of your plane. With them, I can get no shadow at all. hmmm.....

edit*** bah... I see what I did. I just turned on raytraced shadows in the light attributes without turning on raytracing in render globals. =P

# 5 25-03-2004 , 10:39 PM
Yeah i figured out that it only works with raytracing.

The problem is you can still see the outline of the plane in shadow. Ive read a tutorial that says you can fix this with shader networks (which I have no experience with). Is there any easier way?