Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 05-10-2010 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber

Mi - 24 Hind

A new project I am working on. I have several different directions in mind to take this.But first I need to get a good model, which Im finding quite hard.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-10-2010 , 05:02 PM
The thin red line
Hi Ben
Looks like a good start, what are you finding hard?...........dave

Edit: just seen what you put in the hummer post

# 3 05-10-2010 , 05:26 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
i remember this in the first metal gear solid

# 4 05-10-2010 , 06:59 PM
The overall shape looks good Ben but be good to also see a wire frame to help get a better idea as to how the geometry is put together. My method is to keep things as low as possible when modeling, keeping in mind where the details are going to be. This enables me to then go back and begin improving the model by adding details. This also makes life easier when adapting areas and will allow you to change the edge flow quickly to accommodate what is needed. Not sure if others use it but I always hit 3 to show the model when subdivided. I tend to work with this on the majority of the time and find it a great help. If you could get a wire up it would be a great help though and enable me to give you some advice on the model.

# 5 05-10-2010 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber
Cheers all.

Murambi: Only ever played the last MGS. It does remind me of the helicopter in 'Wasteleand', on MW2 though. Not sure if it is actually it.

Leon: This a screenshot with the 3 button on. I switch between 1 and 3 constantly, and work in both also.

This may be a little misleading as a wire though, as remembering the apache tutorial from this site, the guy's approach was, model now, clean up the mesh later, so you can see where, like around the cockpit area, and on the bulk of the body, there are tri's and 5+ sides, which I havnt accepted as final, but have gone with with the attitude of, 'I'll tidy up later'.

What I notice on your helicopter though is, say, around the windows, there is some definite panelling going on, like the pilots main side window, theres a protruding part that goes around it, following the outline of the window, and below that, the opening under the cockpit has a similar 'panelled' look, that looks (from your wireframe shot) that its actually modelled into the main body geometry. Its details like that stand out to me, that if I were to attempt similar, would probably end up causing problems elsewhere with the extra edgeloops they would create. Your topology looks so orderly for what looks like a very good, detailed model.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 05-10-2010 , 10:31 PM
Yeah the topology needs work but like you say you already know this. I would probably have my edges organized very differently though and hope you dont mind me posting this quick paintover to show what I mean. Also excuse the crudeness as I am without my wacom at the mo and am not great with ps with a mouse . :headbang:
This just demonstrates how I would have the edges flowing into each other. I would model the windows separately but there would be edges flowing into them. This would enable me to easily add the trim underneath so the windows will match the base and follow the flow of the model. I always look at what I am modeling and work out the best method as to where I am going to have my edges as the 1st polys you lay down go a long way to determining the overall flow of the entire model. In this sense it is very important to get this right early on or else you end up fighting yourself further into the modeling process to try and get things where you want.
You do have a good base though but I would go back and re model over it with a different approach to the edge flow. This should be a lot faster as you have a good base to work from, allowing you to focus on the edge flow and topology, as you already know where your polygons need to be positioned. Hope the crit does not seem harsh as I know how difficult this is and you have made a good start but just feel the edge flow may cause you problems further down the line. That said you did mention that you were going to be changing this anyway and may already of planned what I am suggesting.
Keep up the good work though and look forward to seeing your progress.

Attached Images
# 7 06-10-2010 , 09:50 PM
Subscriber
another nice ref image there leon, cheers. Im gonna persist with where im at for the time being, but Im more leaning towards redoing the whole cockpit shell, as a seperate piece of geometry like you suggest.

Ive been working on some of the other areas today. Still stuck on the panelling idea. Might have a look at using z, maybe a bump, or, if i really want to do my own head in, a displacement.

This isnt the final texture just something I threw on for a render

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 07-10-2010 , 07:35 PM
Subscriber
some more work today

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 08-10-2010 , 12:18 PM
The thin red line
Hi Ben
Looking good Ben, I think the key to this model is the canopy get that right then all other parts will fall into place............dave

Edit:I think the hind has 5 blades yours looks like it has 4?

# 10 08-10-2010 , 12:26 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by daverave
Hi Ben
Looking good Ben, I think the key to this model is the canopy get that right then all other parts will fall into place............dave

Edit:I think the hind has 5 blades yours looks like it has 4?

Yeah, I am still going to remodel that area. Im taking Leon's advice and gonna plan the edge flow of it first, and I have a rough idea in mind of how to redo that part.

Hmm. 5 blades. Im not sure. I shall have a check.

I think its coming along ok. Hopefully if I can create good uvs for it it will step it up a level when I get proper textures on there to, spec, colour, bump etc. So still a long way to go. Im thinking of buying a hard surface texturing tutorial from the Gnomon website to follow as I texture this.

# 11 20-10-2010 , 10:04 PM
Subscriber
I had a little time to go back and do some more work on this. Started texturing...still a ways to go...Im not too happy with it, and still not really sure what Im going to do with it in the end. I guess I'd like to do a little animation and maybe make a couple of stills with some compositing

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 21-10-2010 , 06:33 PM
Subscriber
and some more work today

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 21-10-2010 , 11:54 PM
Subscriber
Liking this better now. Still playing with textures and the material

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 22-10-2010 , 08:22 AM
The thin red line
Hi Ben
Looking good, lacking a little shape around the rotor area looks to straight. I think the texture is realy good...........dave

# 15 22-10-2010 , 09:00 AM
The Nurb Herd
that material is way too reflective. model looks good tho. just tweak the shader.