Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 16-05-2003 , 11:45 AM
Subscriber

Maya 5.0 ??

ok - i was a bit absent the last time. and just skimmed through the new features from maya 5.0. seams they changed a bit of everything. my question though is - what you think. i am still not sure if the jump from 4.0 -> 4.5 was bigger than 4.5 -> 5.0. but then maybe they changed things in 5.0 which i dont care about?

i know maya never limits you - only your brain does - but is there any break through in 5.0? paint effects to poly seams to be nice and the new render methods.

anyone out there who wants to upgrade as soon as possible because of some very cool new thing???

# 2 16-05-2003 , 01:57 PM
Subscriber
the only thing that convinced me is the flash output

# 3 16-05-2003 , 02:39 PM
Me too, I'm not going to get 5 for a while yet, I'm just sticking with 4.5 for now till a bigger upgrade comes along for me.

A\W's point releases have traditionally been more interesting than the whole number releases in my opinion.

Still wishing for the "Max-like" particle gui, rather than having to be a Mel-god to use Maya's particle systems....

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 16-05-2003 , 03:12 PM
Subscriber

# 5 16-05-2003 , 04:42 PM
Well, for me, according to the pdf, other than Muting, a slight Dyn speed increase for windows users (90% only with qualified hardware), and the mesh brush type, there really doensn't seem to be any MAJOR features added that would directly benifit my specific needs at the momentuser added image

I'm sure I'll upgrade soon, as we all have to, in order to keep up with the code, but at the moment, I'm not that impressed yet.

Personally, when they catch up to Max's particle gui features, THEN I'll be A\W's beeochuser added image
.., but untill then, I'll just have to:
"bend over and take it up the tailpipe!" hehe...
(Jim Carey from Liar, Liar)

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 6 16-05-2003 , 06:29 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by roach105
the only big think in Maya 4.5 was fluids. Other than that they put in a bunch of plugins.

Maya 5 has a massive amount of enhancements. Just check this out.
https://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/pro...newinmaya5.pdf

i have to agree with ragecgi. not that i have to upgrade soon to be up to date with the code, but that there really is no real big thing. the pdf reads like a cool advertisement to justify the new number. massive improvements? yeah - if you list every fart in the pdf, it is a massive change. why does a|w need to mention that documentation e.g. is a lot better? documentation in 4.5 is excellent, imho.

i dont agree with "only fluid was new in 4.5". free mental ray and subd->nurbs jumps to my mind. but you consider this as stupid plugins. what is so bad about plugins? i would call you stupid if you dont use plugins, and not honor you for you hard way to archive "this picture was done using no plugin at all". unlimited is crap as well according to you - live, fur, cloth is stupid because it is only plugins. if plugins are supposed to feel that way, then yes, i want more more more plugins ...

# 7 17-05-2003 , 04:34 AM
Subscriber
hmmm.. i will stick with 4.5 until 5.5 comes up

# 8 17-05-2003 , 05:19 AM
Subscriber
one thing that scares me is this question:

How long are they gonna make new versions of maya until there is nothing else to enhance... I mean... I dont really think there'll be Maya 11.5 user added image

Maybe they'll change the name and start over from the beginning with some new generation software based on maya...

-Emo

# 9 17-05-2003 , 09:03 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Emo
one thing that scares me is this question:

How long are they gonna make new versions of maya until there is nothing else to enhance... I mean... I dont really think there'll be Maya 11.5 user added image

Maybe they'll change the name and start over from the beginning with some new generation software based on maya...

-Emo

it is very unlikely that a|w goes bankrupt or gets sold to another company, so maya will continue til version 14.5 if they dont mess up and stop developing. in 1993 i seen tdi explore the first time with my own eyes on the cebit :yipee: . and i was fascinated - how the guy first showed the ready animation of a dragon flying around a tower and then he went in differant processes and explained the new features of the new version of explore. i would never have dreamed that tdi gets sold. but it got sold - and now we all have a bit explore in every maya. bottom line: never say never if it comes to software just cease to exist and competitors instead of doing real competition to just buy the competitor for fun.

# 10 17-05-2003 , 01:54 PM
it is still a X.5 upgrade instead of a complete version number upgrade

it appears to me that the jump from 4.5 to 5 was mainly a rendering upgrade. most of the major changes are to with rendering

# 11 18-05-2003 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber
i agree with roach
for sum reason ppl seem to think that the upgrade from 4.0 to 4.5 was a big one, but i dont really see that :S
i think the upgrade from 4.5 to 5.0 is rather significant tho

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 12 19-05-2003 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber
I’m just barley learning 4.0 I don’t want to learn any thing to new just yet, I feel if I learn 4.0 first, then 5 should be a breeze,,,, Should ,,, as it is my head is spinning and want to learn more, but man the more I cram in my brain the more it leeks out my ears,user added image I just hope they dont come out with Maya 6 before I'm doneuser added image

# 13 19-05-2003 , 09:04 PM
the IT guy at work just came in and set Maya 5 on my desk!! It finnaly came in! But i get off of work in an hour user added image user added image

Oh well... Can't wait to try out the new vector render, and the new fully intergrated MR. THanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!