Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 13-09-2003 , 07:48 PM
The Maya Mountain
that doesn't make any sense to me. Photoshop is an industry standard that everyone in this industry uses to great effect. I see no reason for Maya or most any other 3D app to try to incorporate such a thing.

# 32 13-09-2003 , 08:52 PM

Originally posted by THX1138
I meant Gaming studios using a variety of CG packages to produce a product, and movie only studios usually use one CG package to produce a product besides the editing program. I hope im not going in the wrong direction here with my reply.

I wouldn't imagen studios use like ILM using just one software package. I know that Weta used Maya and Massive, plus probably others.

I could see small sudios sticking to one package.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 33 13-09-2003 , 10:10 PM
Well its alrready incorporated, but its not good/useful enough to displace the other workflow... what i really mean is the ability to: hit automap forget the uvs, dont care a shit how they are cutted(which now is an issue even if youre not trying to paint over the uvmap but directly on the model with paint effects), and just paint over it interactively and nice in 3d with the whole array of tools of photoshop and texture weapons in the 3d view of maya(with tools like *line* drawing over a complex surface with seams and uv seams, mask selections, the ability to put /adjustment layers/filters/you name it...) (maybe including new tools like true 3d airbrush tool?).

Im not talking about displacing photoshop in general, but painting in 3d already exists, just that needs to be improved a lot. Yep everyone does use uv mapping/then export/then paint in photoshop/then reimport/further tweak/render workflow but thats only cause right now is the best workflow. That is not written on stone, it can be changed, eventually it will be changed...

Last edited by dragonfx; 13-09-2003 at 10:44 PM.
# 34 15-09-2003 , 05:22 AM
19 year Veteran
drgonfx, I wish 3d paint could use all the tools of photoshop aswell. I don't care for uvs either. I to would like to see a much better way of texturing objects in maya instead of importing and exporting to and from photoshop.

z1mmnd14, yeah I would guess that ILM would use more than one package aswell, lol. They can do anything. I was reffering to the smaller studios ( I should have said that ) when I quoted movie studios using one package.

How is UV mapping in Max (and others) compared to Maya?

Last edited by THX1138; 15-09-2003 at 05:25 AM.
# 35 15-09-2003 , 07:10 AM
Massive was a plugin they made themselves i think.... just for crouds.. but its not true that they used just maya either.. bay raitt is a mirai finatic so it wouldnt surprised me if he used that for some sections.. Just wondering people.. alot of talk about how much u guys hate 3ds here, what are your thoughts on XSI, houdini, and lightwave??

FX supervisor - double negative
# 36 15-09-2003 , 05:35 PM
Subscriber
Does anyone here know how to use lightwave, i tried but but gave up after a week.

# 37 15-09-2003 , 08:27 PM

Originally posted by ckyuk
Does anyone here know how to use lightwave, i tried but but gave up after a week.

Ahh, welcome to the club. user added image

# 38 15-09-2003 , 10:44 PM
19 year Veteran
Is Lightwave that hard? I have seen some fantastic renders from Lightwave. Some very photo realistic renders at that. Can someone put up a screengrab from Lightwave?

# 39 15-09-2003 , 11:00 PM
Subscriber
No 3d programme is 'easy' imho, and to be honest I don't think those great images you have seen were created because the programme was any easier than Maya. They were done by people with good skills who worked hard on mastering their programme of choice.

It seems people search for an easy app that creates great images as a shortcut to learning things and I don't think there is anything out there that does stuff automatically - some programmes have more useable things, others have a workflow that suits each individual but I think to make it sound like Lightwave must be easy because great things are produced does down the people producing those images.

3d is like anything else - hard work and application is needed for great results.

# 40 16-09-2003 , 04:20 AM

Originally posted by adldesigner

wow me too!

# 41 16-09-2003 , 06:29 AM
19 year Veteran
Yeah, anyone with great skills will work hard at mastering the program of their choice, but were talking about Maya vs. the competition here. In my opinion, one can work months with one program with medicore results, and weeks with another and achieve fantastic results. For example, how long would it take to make a photo realistic pic of a jet fighter with Max compared to Maya?

Im by no means experienced enough to use Maya with any impressive results, and I have never used Max or the others, im just speaking hypothetically here.

# 42 16-09-2003 , 05:27 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by THX1138
Is Lightwave that hard? I have seen some fantastic renders from Lightwave. Some very photo realistic renders at that. Can someone put up a screengrab from Lightwave?

Lightwave just has a crap UI. If you take the time to learn it i've seen people do some great stuff with it. Pop over to simplylightwave.com and check out the stratocaster in the gallery.

Last edited by ckyuk; 16-09-2003 at 05:29 PM.
# 43 16-09-2003 , 05:47 PM
Subscriber

For example, how long would it take to make a photo realistic pic of a jet fighter with Max compared to Maya?

How long is a piece of string?

There are so many variables in that - I would suspect that if two people with equal experience and skill opened both packages and started modelling together they would probably finish around the same time. It depends on how good people are with the programme they know, how much experience they have, what you define as photorealistic etc etc etc etc. I don't think some packages make for genius work in record time automatically - there's the human factor to consider.

# 44 16-09-2003 , 07:15 PM
Subscriber
Like i said before, in the end it all comes down to you and how much practice you put in.

# 45 16-09-2003 , 08:31 PM

Originally posted by adldesigner

Can i join. After using Maya, LW has a total unusable UI.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....