Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 03-02-2007 , 05:54 PM

where would i post this?

hey people i don't want to annoy anyone by posting in the wrong place, but i want to advertise to artists to come fwd with unusual work so i can buy it off them, where would i post something like that?

# 2 04-02-2007 , 12:17 AM
We don't encourage advertising like this on the board. If you're interested in someone's artwork, then PM him or her with the details.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 3 05-02-2007 , 08:58 PM
so there is absolutly no where i can post something like this, that seems a little but silly to me at least have a forum where you can post nothing but advertising this might help the scene, new products could be in here, new plugins, maya event/3d events???

please can a moderator address this if it means i have to donate cash to simply maya in order for it to be there i would gladly

# 4 05-02-2007 , 11:45 PM
I am a moderator, actually. We don't condone advertising on the site, plain and simple. You've posted a couple of times already trying to get people posting abstract artwork and how you want to buy it all up...good exposure and all that but you've never really given any suitable reason why.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 5 09-02-2007 , 06:07 PM
I am a moderator, actually. We don't condone advertising on the site, plain and simple. You've posted a couple of times already trying to get people posting abstract artwork and how you want to buy it all up...good exposure and all that but you've never really given any suitable reason why.

aw mate i don't wanna piss any one off ill try to respect the ethos of the site as i should, and although you have a no advertsing rule for the site im sure you wouldn't be breaking that if you have a thread just for advertising - that way people have a choice if they wanna read it or not, it would get more traffic to the site as well, you know people advertising older versions of software, people selling training dvds, people selling old equipment before upgrading, and vise verser people looking for these things, plus adding this part to the site could help legit people like me trying to look for artists to do work for them.

the reason why i want buy scene files of other poeple is this would cut down my production time. i produce visuals that i play out in clubs, i want to start producing better visuals with some thing more to them but i work farly long hours and don't have to time to put the time into them - so getting some one else to do some of the work for me will help.

hey mate if you have any thing unusual post em to me to have a look : )

# 6 09-02-2007 , 08:55 PM
Subscriber
Maybe start a thread for job offers? I'd be interested in somthing like that.

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 7 09-02-2007 , 09:07 PM
yeah - i don't really see any problem with what stickyhead is suggesting. If the person is willing to sell their work and stickyhead is paying good money, than it seems like a good thing. I think a thread that deals with this sort of request, job offers and other stuff would be cool - maybe something for the new site perhaps?

stickyhead - I think that people will be a lot more responsive if they can actually see examples of what you do. I think making visuals to play in clubs sounds cool, but people are going to naturally be suspicious if they haven't seen your work.

# 8 11-02-2007 , 06:43 PM
yeh i know what you mean, the thing is with my visuals i don't really want other people seeing how i have them interact with the music i play. Most of my visuals are completly different compared with what other producers do so for the moment untill i really wanna start promoting myself i don't really wanna put any video on the net other wise i think loads of other vjs will start to copy what im doing.

# 9 09-04-2007 , 11:42 AM
Okay, so let me see if I can clarify the main issue that seems to be at hand here and that stickyhead seems to be avoiding for some odd reason...

Stickyhead appears to be a VJ in the UK and uses animations and images in his performances. A VJ is a new type of DJ that uses video mixed with audio (DVD's & CD's) to perform and give their audience both a visual and aural experience. It's becomming quite common.

I think what stickyhead is offering is compensation for those images / animations in exchange for the use of them in his visuals. Not a bad thing, but you might have just gone about it wrong stickyhead, which is why you're receiving such resistance here. But, if you're making DVDs of your parties (such as the High Voltage DVD you offer) and using these visuals in them then you must give artist credit at the end.

You see, we're a close knit bunch here at Simply Maya and we try to protect the interest of out members. Copyright infringement is a major issue in the 3D realm and artists are getting ripped off all of the time. So if we seem a little hesitant about your request I hope you understand.

What you suggested, stickyhead, about advertising is all well and good but has been decided against long ago. We're doing just fine without advertising and have increased our membership tenfold since we started. We feel our members deserve the attention they receive from those of us who work the site without having to force feed them the latest software, plugins, etc. We like it just the way it is.

Now, if you're a 3D artist and would like to frequent our fine website, then feel free to do so, just please make sure to abide by our simple etiquette. If work from our artists is all you seek then you're more than welcome to look around, find what interests you and contact that artist to work out the compensation.

Enjoy yourself while you're here but most importantly, be respectful. I have no issue banning those who aren't.

Thank you.

Your humble Simply Maya Moderator

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 10 09-04-2007 , 01:12 PM
hmmm. i can't help but feel that an advertisement like this would technically be harmless, as long as the 'advertiser' (read: stickyhead, in this case) would make known the extent that such models/animations would be made used or public.

i'm almost positive that many a modeler/animator would like to share his/her work after knowing that the work would be part of a public exhibit (even if it's a rave or club show)...

i do agree that often times an artist's work is not given proper credit, but at the same time after an agreement is made due to use and rightful credit, things do tend to be fair.

even though i have no interest in offering models or animations to this source, i can't help but notice the alternative thread which was created by an 'nbc affiliate' member that is also looking for freelance work. his thread didn't seem to be invaded upon by mods, and the thread creator doesn't even want to pay people for their contribution.

after seeing job offers of either paid or free service, i can't help but think that a 'job needed' or likewise addition to the forum is required... only because some of use would like to help out, whether to increase the effectiveness of our CVs or to just add to our experience with maya.

in summary, the way i see it, there should be an additional forum where opportunities exist for those that are willing to offer their services - whether it be for currency or for just a credit.

if such a suggestion is in violation of any existing rules, then i apologize. i just think that the idea of an opportunity for those in the forum to show off their skills to the demanding trade at hand should be allowed.

Accept no substitutions.
# 11 09-04-2007 , 08:14 PM
Neostrider: No, you're not in any violation and I don't disagree with you about that and I don't disagree with stickyhead looking to purchase work from our members.

I think the main issue here is a misunderstanding of what stickyhead termed as an "advertisement". While SM does not accept ads from outside sources, we do allow solicitation of jobs. We may not have a JOBS HIRING /WANTED section, but I will agree that we should.

I'll take it up with the other MODs to see if we can't get that added. user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu