Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 20-11-2002 , 11:47 AM
Subscriber

Maya Mac Users

A question I have been itching to ask for ages - are there many people on the Simply Maya Site who are Maya Mac users? I use a PC version cos it is version 4, previously on the Mac it was only 3.5 (really version 3 with version 4 renderer). But I had a 30 trial version of the Mac version.

It seemed alright but it didn't take advantage of multiple processors, and seeing as I have a dual processor machine (dual 500) it was only rendering at half speed.

Now we have version 4.5 complete can anyone give me feedback as to what it is like. I know that PC are faster when it comes to single processors but with OSX and dual processors that evens it out. I AM NOT TRYING TO START A PLATFORM WAR - I just want feedback.

I believe that it doesn't matter what speed or platform your machine is, if you are happy with it then use it. It's what you make that matters and if you are using a machine that you are at one with then so much the better!!! So feedback please...

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 2 20-11-2002 , 11:55 AM
Kevin
I think there are a few here, somewhee...lurking within the shadows.

All I can say is in 4.5 and my duals on my pc ....it goes pretty dam fast and is as stable as anything

# 3 20-11-2002 , 12:32 PM
Subscriber
Hi Kev

I haven't been about much, but I will make more of an appearance soon!

In the meantime, what system have you got - dual Athlon or P4? What speeds are they? I know that the faastest processors out there are Xeon is it? But aparently they are VERY expensive and beyond the majority of home/hobbyists... until I win the lottery that is...

Don't suppose you know if there is a Mac version of Unlimited in the pipeline from you friend at Alias/Wavefront do you?

Gazzamataz
# 4 20-11-2002 , 12:40 PM
Kevin
2 x 1.8 paliminos and 1 gig ram user added image

fast enough for about 2 month more i guess LOL

# 5 20-11-2002 , 12:51 PM
Subscriber
Two what? Gee-gees? Oh no, that's palominos... or is it... All sounds like horseshit to me he, he..

Anyway never heard of em, who makes them Tonto or the Lone Ranger?

Gazzamataz
# 6 20-11-2002 , 12:57 PM
Subscriber
there is no version of maya 4.5 UNLIMITED for macintosh. :o

Sorry but my english is very poor !
MaY ThE FoRcE Be WiTh YoU !
# 7 20-11-2002 , 12:59 PM

Originally posted by gazzamataz
Two what? Gee-gees? Oh no, that's palominos... or is it... All sounds like horseshit to me he, he..

Anyway never heard of em, who makes them Tonto or the Lone Ranger?

Hehehe ... let´s just say those are synonims for RAW POWER. user added image

# 8 20-11-2002 , 02:27 PM
Subscriber
Cyrius, I know there is no version of Unlimited for the Mac at the moment, but I wondered if anyone has any inside info as whether there will be!

At this rate I'm gonna get a quad Red Rum Stallion... mind you that will probably be a dead loss!!!

Gazzamataz
# 9 22-11-2002 , 11:30 AM
Subscriber
Well, judging by the response ther seems to be 40 million Mac Maya Users out there or are they just shy... Or am I the only one. Must say got a new dual 867 baby and the PLE version of Maya seems to run sweet on it, bout the same speed as my Dell 1.8 baby - someone must be lying about processor speeds!

Gazzamataz
# 10 22-11-2002 , 07:35 PM
Subscriber
toh! i will soon buy a dual 867 too !! :-) (now i have a G4 400mhz)

Sorry but my english is very poor !
MaY ThE FoRcE Be WiTh YoU !
# 11 22-11-2002 , 10:13 PM
Subscriber
gazzamataz,

Unfortunately I can't afford Maya complete at the moment, So I'm running the PLE version on my G4 400Mhz. As far as speed goes, it fast enough in use, goes to prove you don't need a 3000Mhz chip.

As fars as the unlimited version goes, I don't know. But I have read that alias|wavefront have been very impressed with the mac sales of Maya so its only a matter of time.

Does anyone know when the new PLE version 4.5 is out?

# 12 25-11-2002 , 09:32 AM
Subscriber
I dunno about the 4.5 PLE comming out, I did ask Stephanie at AW and she said then (Sept) that it was early days yet since they are more obviously interested in selling commercial versions.

I have set up my Mac with Jaguar at the weekend and am itching to get using Maya on it. I don't know what it is about Macs and OSX but I have a faster PC but I prefer using my Dual 500 Mac.

I can wait to get my mits on version 4.5 for the Mac. I'll keep you posted about the dual 867 machine though... I think it is the best value Mac when you consider that the dual 1.25ghz machine is only 383mhz faster which is 1.44 times faster its not really alot... I only think you know the difference when the machine is twice as fast or faster. More important is a FAST graphics card like the Geforce Titanium thingy although expensive!

Gazzamataz
# 13 25-11-2002 , 10:08 AM
Kevin
lol gaz! I only here from mac users when they cant run the free videos LOL

# 14 25-11-2002 , 10:51 AM
Subscriber
Well Kev it looks like there are three of us... although I am a PC/MAc user. Perhaps I could encourage the other two Mac users a bit he, he!

Gazzamataz
# 15 25-11-2002 , 11:42 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gazzamataz
I can wait to get my mits on version 4.5 for the Mac. I'll keep you posted about the dual 867 machine though... I think it is the best value Mac when you consider that the dual 1.25ghz machine is only 383mhz faster which is 1.44 times faster its not really alot...

aehm, how do you calculate? you really think twice as much mhz will make the computer twice as fast? you think 2.5 ghz is faster than dual 1ghz??? it highly depends. you cannot say going dual will speed up to twice the speed of single cpu. reason? actually if you have dual it is not really twice as fast. but if you have different programs or programs optimized for multi porcessor, you get the advantage. you can let the render run on on cpu, and work on the other. so you can do 2 things at once. that is more worth than getting a thing faster done. simple mathematics does not work in computer (overall) speed.