Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 08-08-2011 , 03:04 PM
Subscriber

not happy

I wanted to model a semi realistic car so I went with a skoda 130 something like this:

https://www.trotinarallyeteam.cz/cms/...30_rs_v_01.jpg

i know my edge flow needs work but I just cant believe how bad it looks...oddly i think it looks okay in the viewport but Im severely dissapointed with the renders.

I would love to be able to get my stuff looking this good here:

https://forums.cgchannel.com/uploads/...774fullimg.jpg

but its not even close and im not talking about the materials used and the HDRI lighting just the modeling

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-08-2011 , 03:51 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
The modelling isnt that bad you just really need to work on your edges and try to get them as accurate as possible immediately from your reference I can tell the headlight front fender area isnt very accurate as for renders can you post one up and I hope your using the car paint material

# 3 08-08-2011 , 03:57 PM
Well unfortunately the rendering is not a simply process in mental ray. You need to set up proper lights, the set proper light properties. Then you have to apply the proper materials to the car and adjust their properties. There is no magic "make it look good" button I am afraid.

A good starting point would be the material you place on the car and murambis suggestion of using the mental ray car paint material. Then I would put a couple lights in the scene (typically a three point system - fill, bounce, backlight). Put a ground plane or sight wall in. Use the mental ray render engine.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 4 08-08-2011 , 04:22 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
Also the render that you have there from cgchannel as reference is hypershot not mental ray

# 5 08-08-2011 , 05:55 PM
Subscriber
wow i love this forum thanks guys. I'll play around with your suggestions and post them up ASAP!

# 6 08-08-2011 , 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
In general, I think the contours are off, and the weird bulging caused by extruding the door into the body isn't helping (that is usually separate geometry from what I've seen). I wouldn't worry about rendering unless you're done. A non reflective blinn with a faint, rough highlight usually looks good for testing. The car paint shader is great as long as you've setup some kind of environment.

- Genny
# 7 09-08-2011 , 12:46 AM
Subscriber
messed with the materials, lighting and did some crude texturing...

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 09-08-2011 , 05:43 AM
Not bad but I would suggest picking the fill light and turning on ray trace shadows. It looks a little flat still. Maybe an HDR dome to add some environmental reflections.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 9 09-08-2011 , 10:39 AM
The Nurb Herd
well, i would say you need a decent camera before you play with the lights.
-create a new camera, rename it, change the focal length around, re position it, lock it.

then i would ditch the hdri you have, look for something with more studio lighting.

# 10 09-08-2011 , 05:10 PM
Subscriber
not sure if its getting better or worse lol

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 09-08-2011 , 05:15 PM
The Nurb Herd
its a bit over exposed nearest camera.

# 12 09-08-2011 , 05:17 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

# 13 09-08-2011 , 07:41 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dude

its a good effort but by adding another 25% effort into the model I think it will be there pretty much. really it needs edges to sharpen areas up a bit. Modelling anything in a realistic manner really does require some hardcore observations and not just following a plan of something. I think by doing what Ive said you'll get there. Also take an approach one step at a time, get the model in shape first, then move to textures then lighting, dont try to cram it all in at once, theres enough to get right with the model and understanding the forms etc of that before moving into rendering etc. Theres plenty of people here to help you along....

cheers
Jay

# 14 09-08-2011 , 09:59 PM
Subscriber

Dude

its a good effort but by adding another 25% effort into the model I think it will be there pretty much. really it needs edges to sharpen areas up a bit. Modelling anything in a realistic manner really does require some hardcore observations and not just following a plan of something. I think by doing what Ive said you'll get there. Also take an approach one step at a time, get the model in shape first, then move to textures then lighting, dont try to cram it all in at once, theres enough to get right with the model and understanding the forms etc of that before moving into rendering etc. Theres plenty of people here to help you along....

cheers
Jay

Thanks for the advice Jay. About the sharpening of the edges, I initially had much sharper edges that was closer to what is realistic but it just seemed off...obviously here I have yet to combine and merge the two sides but you get the idea. Is there a better way to smooth it out without averaging the vertices or the smooth scult tool? I suppose I could try softening the normals...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by jjmacky88; 09-08-2011 at 10:04 PM.
# 15 09-08-2011 , 11:48 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah you coud soften the normals, then you could harden edge normal that need them after. Looking at the headlight hole Id say you need edges there and inside the windows too.

cheers
Jay