Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 06-10-2012 , 12:33 PM

Quick way to Preview a .ma file?

Hi
I must be wording this incorrectly but I can't find out if - there is a Quick way to Preview a .ma file?

I should probably render a quick version of each scene and keep a folder of them - but when working fast seems a bit of a chore.

I use to own a program, can't remember name - and it was ten years ago - but it could preview scene files.

Thanks to all.....
dan

# 2 06-10-2012 , 04:15 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 06-10-2012 , 06:48 PM
The thin red line
You can also use thumb nails in the visor...............dave

# 4 06-10-2012 , 09:01 PM
Dave,

You get thumbnails in your visor? I took a screen shot of what I get (just the maya logo).

and the maya file viewer also seems to just display the maya logo and when I tried to remove it it messed up my desktop and changed the maya 2012 program launch icon to the unknown app icon. I had to play with the properties to get the icon back. So be careful with that plugin.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 06-10-2012 at 09:08 PM.
# 5 06-10-2012 , 09:28 PM
The thin red line
No Rick you have to put them there, do a render then a screen grad of you render then go to render window go to view "grab swatch to hypershade/viser select that then middle mouse select you render (picture) and drag to visor projects file.....hope that make sence..........dave

Last edited by daverave; 06-10-2012 at 09:35 PM.
# 6 06-10-2012 , 09:51 PM
ah gotcha. I thought it did the conversion automatically somehow and I never noticed. lol.

That is another thing I like about modo. Every model you make is effectively an asset and you can preview all your models in the built in previewer. So everything you model can be organized and placed into a visual library. Very powerful!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 09-10-2012 , 01:15 PM

plugin

Guys
The plugin really slowed down my computer - I would advise to stay away from it as well.

This other method is worth checking out - I will try it.

But the simplest process/idea would be - and this does not work for me at least yet - when you do a render and go to save it to your image folder, it would be nice if the maya file/scene name your currently working on would just populate the file/save name option.

Sounds like I'm lazy but as you all know any little speed enhancement let's you work that much faster.

Just a thought - I will for now just name my render images the same name as my scene file manually.

Thanks All
Dan

ps - I just used DaveRave method, works but I don't get the full image in the thumbnail, I get a small image of the center of the image - tried rendering smaller size but same thing happens - using maya 2011.

Last edited by danielchappelle; 09-10-2012 at 01:28 PM.
# 8 09-10-2012 , 07:18 PM
The thin red line
The best size looks to be 100x100 pxals but I just use the options in rendering "test resolutions to some thing simular................dave

# 9 09-10-2012 , 07:26 PM

thanks

dave thanks for that info appreciate it!
dan