Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 07-10-2005 , 05:00 PM
I dont think they would try it with adobe, althought stranger things have happened, I used to work for a very large company that got taken over by a company that was 1/4 of the size which was strange

# 32 07-10-2005 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
Yeah...I believe Microsoft is the largest software company in the whole friggin' world, with Adobe coming in 2nd.

So I can't really see Adobe getting swallowed by Autodesk, but what do I know...just like you said - there are strange things happening in this world, especially if this world happens to be the corporate world.

And regarding Maya: we should have seen something rather strange coming along...I mean - hey! c'mon: Ontario Teachers Pension Plan? What the heck?!?

Come to think of it: as long as I can remember, I was always having problems with teachers...seems now they're going to give me back my bullets!

Shouldn't have been such a bad boy when I could...

Oh my...

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!
# 33 07-10-2005 , 07:32 PM
My question is, if it comes to it and they go with one product, which one do they go with. They do realise that Maya is better/more popular of the two.

Of if they merge them and create a new package (whic would be intresting), what sort of UI do they go with? The Maya UI is just to good to drop, so really anything drastic changes will only be for the worse.

There just gonna piss of loads of people.

Also, is the “Alias” name going, or is it going to remain as a subsidiary?

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 34 07-10-2005 , 07:41 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by doodle
Also, is the “Alias” name going, or is it going to remain as a subsidiary?

Good question, given Autodesk's current tendency to gather everything under one single brand name.

Autodesk Maya? Bah! :rant:

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!
# 35 08-10-2005 , 04:35 AM
Subscriber
Weeping like a baby :headbang: user added image :hug: :angery:
I am so pissed off!!!!!
I wan to pick up a back up application---->another learning curve!

Which would be a smart choice for a 2nd back up application?
I was thinking XSI with my heart but my mind is saying UGLY/IRRITATING Max!

How can I work in a software I hate? I mainly model and do still renders. I want to do more animation in the future.

What will be a smart move?

Last 2 days have been amongst the sadest of my life. I kid you not! :headbang:

grrrr
# 36 08-10-2005 , 04:44 AM

Originally posted by Renderizer
Good question, given Autodesk's current tendency to gather everything under one single brand name.

Autodesk Maya? Bah! :rant:

I read their FAQ on the buy out and it states Alias and Autodesk will oporate as seperate companies.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 37 08-10-2005 , 05:07 AM
Subscriber
Autodesk's press release is not worth the pdf it's typed on. That means jack and is business speak.

grrrr
# 38 09-10-2005 , 04:37 PM
Maya's way up to the top was pritty fast because of its program arhitecture wich lets us to adjust Maya in the way we want, node to node relation and MEL, so praticly everything can be animated in Maya---> this concept will keep Maya on top for a long time so I think much effort is needed to take the queen off the throne.

ILM, Wetta, FrameStore,Pixar,DreamWorks...they all use Maya as a leading 3D package and some of them have developed a new tools for it like Pixar's RenderMan so I hardly can see that these Giants could depend on 3Ds Max.

Anyway If I could choose I would keep academy winner,the one and only Maya.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

user added image

# 39 09-10-2005 , 07:16 PM
This is bullcrap, really.
I downloaded the demo for 3ds Max, and I was thinking the whole time "How the f*** is this supposed to be up there at the top with Maya?"
Seriously, I mean, Max sucks!

Originally posted by Grayth
I guess we can all look forward to seeing the totally useless teapot primitive...:headbang:

Yeah! Autodesk is only going to screw up Maya... Who needs teapots anyways! :headbang:

I don't even think a Maya-Max combo would be interesting either... because Maya has everything Max does, and more. Averaging the two would lead to Maya sucking and Max... still sucking.

And someone said that Max needs plugins for everything... I like all of the features in Maya and I wont fork out money for some stupid plugins that Maya has included.

And this just happend to start because Autodesk knew it was going to start fighting a downhill battle against Alias... especially in game making. I mean, Maya was used for like nearly half of the games out...

Last edited by MattTheMan; 10-10-2005 at 06:45 PM.
# 40 09-10-2005 , 11:24 PM
Max does have a few features Maya doesn't -- but most people don't USE those features.

Personally I think Autodesk should can 3ds max and upgrade Maya with whatever they like (and hopefully not Gmax the Maya PLE)

Market share isn't performance... look at AMD vs Intel -- across the board Intel's components are more expensive, hotter (as of ~2002) and slower. Intel only wins by obscuring the average computer consumer (aka: Dell buyers) to not knowing what AMD is.

# 41 20-10-2005 , 11:27 PM
I just hope this can cut down the price of the software just a littler bit more.

# 42 20-10-2005 , 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Stormgetto
I just hope this can cut down the price of the software just a littler bit more.

Keep dreaming... they got a monopoly now... expect the oposite.

Talking to Max users aparently MAX is better at getting modelling done quicker. Then again, that's listening to just 1 side of the argument.

I'm still all Mayan :p

# 43 21-10-2005 , 12:17 AM
OW my if the prices get higher I really gonna start to give up about my dream car.
I have to work half year to buy any full set of those software, plus it good to keep upgrading your pc, and taking the point that they launch a new version of package every year making you to spend more money upgrading the software.
THEY KILLING US!

Last edited by Stormgetto; 21-10-2005 at 12:23 AM.
# 44 23-10-2005 , 06:05 PM
Subscriber
Dont expect any changes for at least a year. I was at an alias roadshow conference on wednesday 5th oct in leeds, they didnt want to talk about it too much but they did say that the deal isnt final and will take about 6 months to be finalised.

Also they gave the example of when alias bought out Kaydara publishers of motion builder over a year ago, and its only now that there is any of the features being mixed with in maya.

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)

Last edited by cung; 23-10-2005 at 06:07 PM.
# 45 26-10-2005 , 09:26 PM
OK, lets collect 100 million dollars and buy Alias!