Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 07-10-2017 , 09:56 AM

Modelling to real world scale in Maya - Solution found

Hi all,

This is to share my knowledge in Maya.

I've heard most people who use Maya say that it's impossible to work with real world scale in Maya with imperial units. They argue that maya is not programmed to do such kind of work and so they ought to use 3ds Max for real world scale.
Some people say it's possible to do real world scale and all they do is use the measure tool or have a reference image.

As an architectural designer I struggled a lot to find a solution for this and I'm glad to say that I've found a perfect solution for this.
I have done a tutorial on this and I'm sure it will be of help to all architecture modellers who use Maya.

Check it out in the link below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF1sEN9B1CA&t=75s

Share Your thoughts.
Thank You

# 2 08-10-2017 , 08:43 AM
Subscriber
Its good you shearing your way of working but I am sorry its more a tut on how it work in foot and inches than real world scale.
I always worked in real world scale, never had a problem within Maya and not met anyone who has a problem doing so. But then I work in CM and Meters. Texturing,SFX and lighting all work correctly and even importing my models in to 3d Max and C4D works 100% (Apart from Max wanting Z to be upwards - silly buggers).

But as a architectural designer how is it your unable to just convert imperial units to metric instead of struggling ??? This really is not as big a problem your making out it is and it most deferentially not impossible.

# 3 09-10-2017 , 06:42 AM

Its good you shearing your way of working but I am sorry its more a tut on how it work in foot and inches than real world scale.
I always worked in real world scale, never had a problem within Maya and not met anyone who has a problem doing so. But then I work in CM and Meters. Texturing,SFX and lighting all work correctly and even importing my models in to 3d Max and C4D works 100% (Apart from Max wanting Z to be upwards - silly buggers).

But as a architectural designer how is it your unable to just convert imperial units to metric instead of struggling ??? This really is not as big a problem your making out it is and it most deferentially not impossible.

Yes it's a tutorial on feet and inches. I guess I should have been more clearer on that.

Since all the architectural plans I get are in Imperial units I thought it would be much easier if i adjust Maya to my way of working rather than having to adjust myself to Maya's ways.

It's more like when you find it difficult to make all people walking on a dirty floor to wear footwears , you just lay a carpet on the floor so all people can walk in bare feet. user added image