Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 21-12-2007 , 06:47 AM

cartoon gangster

heres my model going to be a ganster black suit etc should be pretty good heres what i have done so far tonight i still have to attach the eyelids to the rest of the head so it all goes in nice and smooth also the chin needs a bit of work and the nose seems a little high or maybe a bit small mite get some more reference images anywayz all crits welcome and encouraged

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 21-12-2007 , 07:22 AM
Lifetime Member
It's looks a good start, but a recomendation to try and block out the whole head before getting tempted to get too detailed or you might find you run into problems finishing the head.
I would like to see a wireframe of the mesh before making any comments about the modeling, are you paying attention to your edge loops?

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 21-12-2007 , 08:14 AM
Subscriber
reminds me of the GI soldier tut on here.

<a href="https://www.angelfire.com/blog/simon_hitchins/3d_models"> My Website </a>
# 4 21-12-2007 , 05:35 PM
jsprogg : thanks for the advice i will try and finish off the rest of the head edgeloops i am thinking of just near the bottom of chin though they have gone a little hectic but theirs so far only
2 n-gons and the rest are quads ill post up a wire tomorow

magicsy: lol i was using the reference image plains from the gi tute i just changed them around a little in photoshop before i set them as my plains, good pick though

# 5 23-12-2007 , 05:04 PM
here is a wire of the not smoothed version

Attached Images
# 6 24-12-2007 , 01:32 AM
To many lines, looks good at some points but makes it messy on the large scale.

And yes I'm not the one to say really as I've been known to have a few to many lines on several occasions. user added image

# 7 24-12-2007 , 04:35 AM
Hi anasasis, much more lines like Weyu said. But it's good start (I haven't head model yet) and some more need fixs. I think you can make a low head model after with zbrush details. keep up!

user added image

# 8 24-12-2007 , 11:37 AM
Subscriber
not to beat a dead horse, but I definitely agree with the above. There are a ton of edges where there are no real forms being described. All they're doing is making your life harder! I model poly-by-poly as well, but not at the full detail. It's quite easy to divide parts of your mesh further if necessary, but it can become a pain to do the reverse.

I'd recommend starting over with minimal edgeloops necessary to create the form. For a cartoony character especially, it'll make everything a lot easier for you.

# 9 24-12-2007 , 12:57 PM
cheers guys i think majority rules i have to many lines lol, nah i do agree this is my second real head that ive actually put effort into but thankx heaps guys appreciate it