Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 23-01-2015 , 02:38 AM

Easiest way to render just an alpha channel?

Hello, I'm using mentalray and I select under framebuffer a filetype which is just an alpha but it's like Maya ignores my command and apparently renders an RGBA image anyway.

I want to have the ability to batch render images with different alpha channels with an absolute minimum of render time (and usage of hard drive space). What's the most simple way to do this?

Thank you in advance!

# 2 23-01-2015 , 01:59 PM
EduSciVis-er
I don't know off the top of my head if or how you can export just an alpha. A very simple fast way that should produce the same result, is if you create a new render layer and set the material override to be a plain black (or white) surface shader. That will render super fast and you will have your "alpha".

# 3 26-01-2015 , 07:18 AM
Thank you, that'll do! I tested and it does lead to a 70%+ drop in file size as well. Ideally I'd like an even more efficient but no matter. Cheers!

# 4 03-02-2015 , 04:01 PM
The Nurb Herd

# 5 09-02-2015 , 09:41 AM
WOAH! That's a fascinating technique. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!