Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 11-05-2015 , 03:33 PM
Subscriber

Simple Kitchen

Working in spare time on a simple kitchen design.
Just arrived on a stage where the center of the kitchen is so far ready and I am starting the "background" with filling the cabinets and putting the details.

Still the flooring tiles are looking a little bit flat even I put bump map (might have to increase the bump)
Also I would like to increase the shadows a little bit more to give it more structure.

I would love to have an outside picture in front of the window, but so far it looks very dull and I am wondering how to improve it.

Any input?

Many thanks to all comments!

Jensuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 12-05-2015 , 02:00 AM
Super Moderator
I'm just waiting on someone to make the "Simple Livingroom" or "Simple Bathroom" wip thread and we're set heh.

Good start, looks proportionally sound. Providing that they're high enough resolution, I wouldn't worry about textures looking flat just yet because I think it's the lighting that's the biggest culprit. Everything is blanketed in more or less the same levels of indirect illumination giving it a very diffused and thus, flat feel. Plus I don't think the floor/counter tops have reflectivity do they? Even subtle and blurred reflections help make surfaces more believable. What kind of lighting setup are you using?

P.S
The outside view is probably being masked because the window glass doesn't seem to be quite transparent enough or very "glass-like".

- Genny
# 3 12-05-2015 , 07:29 AM
Subscriber
Dear Gen,

thank you very much for your comments. For "Dream Kitchen" its not yet good enough, so I had to choose something "simple" ;-). The reflectivity is a good hint for the floor. I took it quite low, but I tried to change it even up to 1 same for the glossiness, but there is no change. Think I have to reapply a material. For the counter top I choose a timber surface therefore its not so reflective/glossy. For the window glass I took Mia_material_x with physical glass preset. Outside I have the picture installed as lambert surface with the picture as material. Even if I render without the glass in between it did not look right. I tried with gamma correction but no improvement.
Any further hint?

# 4 12-05-2015 , 11:44 AM
EduSciVis-er
Put the outside image on a surface shader so it's not interacting with any light

# 5 12-05-2015 , 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
If a surface with an mia mat isn't reflective at all regardless of reflectivity value then you may want to check your surface normals. By default, "skip reflections on inside" in the material's advanced reflection settings is on so back facing geometry will not calculate reflections.

Speaking of reflections, a lambert like shader wouldn't do counter tops justice. Even matte ones tend to reflect the environment to some degree, it's just that the roughness of the surface would need the reflections to be blurred in some manner.

Googled refs
user added image

- Genny
# 6 17-05-2015 , 01:28 PM
Subscriber
Thank you Genny, looks much better with reflection..

# 7 03-06-2015 , 04:56 PM
Subscriber
I cannot recommend enough the tutorial Dave has done and is available on the SimplyMaya site. I bought the V-Ray one myself and have applied what I picked up to other projects, which has made a huge difference to the look and feel of a rendered scene and also to my knowledge.

Excellent and def worth a purchase mate

https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...mr/?tut_id=363

Custom built W10 Pro 64 bit, Hazwell Intel 5820, Asus X99 MOBO, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, EVGA nVidia GTX1080 Founders Edition, 512GB SSD Primary HDD, 16TB Storage, 27" Samsung 4k Display. Wacom 27QHD, Oculus Rift CV1
# 8 05-06-2015 , 11:31 AM
Subscriber
Yes, I am going through it right now ;-)

Thanks for recommendation!

# 9 05-06-2015 , 09:53 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
Honestly what I think affects your indoor lighting most is the exposure control. It has the possibility of giving you what kind of mood that your looking into. I have found that a little play on the mood on the render goes a long way with getting your client to accept the work you presented

# 10 18-06-2015 , 01:05 PM
Subscriber

Honestly what I think affects your indoor lighting most is the exposure control. It has the possibility of giving you what kind of mood that your looking into. I have found that a little play on the mood on the render goes a long way with getting your client to accept the work you presented

Habari za Kazi, thanks for your hint.
Working with photographic exposure and have more options !

Best regards

Jens