Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 24-06-2015 , 12:25 PM

Do not know how to start UVing

hey guys, i need help! im kinda new and i just finished modelling, but i have trouble UVing... i do not know how to start for this..

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-06-2015 , 02:13 PM
The Maya Mountain
One thing that I'd personally recommend is, before UVing, do some geometry cleanup. You have what looks like a lot of extra edges that you more than likely don't need. With less superfluous geometry that doesn't contribute to the shape, UVing would be much easier. Clean modeling leads to clean UVs and it can take a bit of practice to get right.

# 3 24-06-2015 , 04:48 PM
ahh alright! but how do i start on the UV after cleaning up?

# 4 24-06-2015 , 05:44 PM
Subscriber
there are lots of instructional vids out there on the subject. should be able to find one on youtube pretty easily.

Sampson
# 5 26-06-2015 , 07:19 AM
Subscriber
Dave's UV tuts for headus are worth a watch, IMPO. Found them very useful and Headus is very quick also.

Custom built W10 Pro 64 bit, Hazwell Intel 5820, Asus X99 MOBO, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, EVGA nVidia GTX1080 Founders Edition, 512GB SSD Primary HDD, 16TB Storage, 27" Samsung 4k Display. Wacom 27QHD, Oculus Rift CV1
# 6 28-06-2015 , 06:59 AM
The Maya Mountain
so, the goal for UVing is to lay out the UVs in a way that makes it easy to create a texture with as few seams as possible. What I typically do for unusually shaped models is start off with an Automatic unwrap. This will give you a collection of UV shells instead of the tangled, ungodly mess.

From here, you can then start piecing your UV shells together the way you want them, laying them out proportionately to allow for a good pixel density as well as efficient use of your texture space.

Note that you basically NEVER Auto-Unwrap and call it done. 99.99% of models will need to then be tweaked and worked with at least somewhat.

You can hide seems on the under-side, or some angle where the object won't be seen, or by using a texture seam for a place where the texture itself has a built in seam, like paneling or a zipper or whatnot.

Hope that helps some to at least get the ball rolling.