Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-11-2011 , 04:27 PM

Maya 2012 x64 freeze/crash problem

Hi there.

I’ve been using a student version of Maya 2012 64bit for a few weeks now, havn’t had any problems with it all. Until yesterday. I can start it, use it for like 2-5 minutes then my screen goes totally grey and my computer locks up, it doesnt restart itself, and it isnt a blue/black screen.
The only resort is to restart the computer by the reset button.

I have a pretty good PC, as I study game development, and myself play a lot games. I have no problems at all with other applications and 3D applications. As I said, i game a lot, and I can do so non-stop without any problems.
No problem with the GPU-temp either, it’s about 30 degrees c in idle, and in working with Maya about 35-40, otherwise in full load in games, its about 70.

I would really like some help here, so any answers would be useful. I have the latest drivers for my gpu, temps are fine and so on.

Pc specs:
Processor: AMD Phenom II 970 BE 3.7ghz x 4
RAM: 8GB DDR3 RAM
GPU: Radeon 6950 2GB DDR5
PSU: 700W
HDD: 1TB Western Digital
MB: Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

# 2 10-11-2011 , 04:44 PM
SM Tea Boy
Might not help much but i have had problems with the Maya and the latest version of the Radeon drivers, have you tried downgrading the driver. I'd look up the version I'm using but I'm on my linux box atm so it ain't going to do you a lot of good.

Good luck
Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 10-11-2011 , 04:47 PM
what version of windows pls?

and of course the only certified / recommened cards for maya 2012 are Quadro from nvidia and firepro from ati. I can tell you first hand that maya 2012 is very unstable with nvidia geforce (any and all drivers). maya 2011 and lower was much more stable with geforce. Maya 2012 has implemented some major changes under the hood and I believe it is far more unstable then autodesk is admitting.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 10-11-2011 at 04:52 PM.
# 4 10-11-2011 , 05:00 PM
I might try older drivers. The funny thing is that i havnt faced this problem before. I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Might have to run an older version of Maya if thats the case.

# 5 10-11-2011 , 05:06 PM
maya 2012 has been making me quite insane. The three major problems are (1) I start maya and open a scene file and get "error parsing arguments" and the model opens in wireframe or it just opens in wireframe

(2) maya descided to stop refreshing my screen, the channel box and outliner go blank

(3) maya crashes and corrupts both the original and the dump files in the appdatatemp folder and you get to start all over. that is a real productivity booster!

I have tried rolling back 6 versions of drivers, reinstalling maya, installing the SP1 patch, I do have a SAP subscription but I am afraid to try what essentially is the beta release of the next piece of crap release

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 11-11-2011 , 10:30 AM
I updated my drivers to the lastest version (2011-10-31). The one I was using was about a month old. And so far no crashes at all. I don't understand the logic in this although, since i was using maya for a few weeks before i got this problem. Anyways, im hoping it will stay good for now user added image