Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 29-01-2015 , 03:55 PM
SM Tea Boy
Here is a very early WIP for the environment and texturing that's coming up, this is a simply AO render to test focal length and placement ec cetera.

I decided to use the actual photo as inspiration and while i'm not going for an exact replica it should be pretty close.

David user added image

Attached Thumbnails

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 17 29-01-2015 , 04:36 PM
Subscriber
Looks pert near good Dave! (that's country for very well done)...

Sampson
# 18 30-01-2015 , 07:43 PM
Lifetime Member
really liking this new house, much better than the Victorian user added image
had to double read your last post, as I thought the bottom image was a render of the environment
was gonna comment how real it looked, then I noticed you said it was a picture as reference LOL

gonna try and dig into this tut over the weekend, will be perfect for getting me back into Maya user added image

I'm not lazy, I'm just resting before I get tired
# 19 30-01-2015 , 10:26 PM
SM Tea Boy
lol it's just an early wip so... it will look a lot more photographic (the render that is user added image ) or as much as i can manage within the confines of a tutorial. I'll be working on it over the weekend so will update in the week.

I actually saw someone post a reference photo once instead of a render a genuine mistake, I know the guy. Funny thing is two different people pointed out to him how fake his 'render' looked LOL.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 20 31-01-2015 , 02:56 AM
Lifetime Member
user added image
too funny!

I'm not lazy, I'm just resting before I get tired
# 21 08-02-2015 , 08:26 PM
Lifetime Member
Looking good so far Dave, i am currently working on a whole street project of The Shambles in York which is proving to be challenging ..lol

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 22 09-02-2015 , 02:26 PM
SM Tea Boy
Thanks user added image i've been thinking about doing a street from here in prague some nice buildings here but as you say bloody hard work to pull of an entire street!

Good Luck
Dave

# 23 13-02-2015 , 06:32 PM
Subscriber

A big thank you from me

Hi David and all,

I just wanted to thank you for producing and excellent set of tutorials. I just cannot stop myself spending every waking minute doing them (when not at work). My girlfriend hasn't seem me for 2 days (even though i live with her lol)

Anyways massive thank you David for these tutorials, really enjoying them. Any hints on when the next set would become available?

Thanks Mythandra

Work So far
Front:

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mythandra; 13-02-2015 at 09:33 PM.
# 24 14-02-2015 , 10:53 AM
SM Tea Boy
Really glad you're enjoying the tutorial, best not ignore the girlfriend today you might not survive user added image

Next section should be out at the end of next week I hit a few delays but i'm back on track now.

Great job so far btw
All the best
David

# 25 19-02-2015 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber

Update on WIP on the roof

Hi All,

Just wanted to post some pics of the roof (this is my 4th attempt as i didn't like the ones previous, however i quite like these user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 19-02-2015 , 01:36 PM
SM Tea Boy
Looking good user added image placing the tiles takes some practice and a bit of patience. It could also be done with displacement or even a simple bump map if shot from far away. I did however want to share my way of doing it with geo.

I hope you got something out of this tutorial and thanks for posting the wips

All the best
Dave

# 27 23-02-2015 , 02:08 PM
Subscriber

WIP - House Roof 99.9% done

Hi All, i just wanted to post my WIP pics for the house i have been working on from Daves Tutorials. I have taken some artistic license and just gone with my gut on some things which i like.

Dave, When will the UV stuff be out for the house as i am chomping at the bit for more content hahaha user added image

Cheers Clarke

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 23-02-2015 , 05:43 PM
SM Tea Boy
Thanks for showing the WIP's nice to see. Looking good as well user added image

I'm working on the follow up tutorials it's quite a bit to go through I wanted to show everything, creating the entire environment so trees and grass and what not, plus the lighting and the final composite.

The UV for this house is pretty straightforward if you're new to UV'ing I can't recommend headus uv layout highly enough if you want to add another piece of software to your arsonal. (https://www.uvlayout.com/)

I actually made a headus tutorial for the interior scene check it out below. It will give you more than enough information to UV that house in no time flat, if you can't wait user added image
https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...=362&sub_cat=0

If you want to save yourself a bunch of time try headus. I never UV with Maya anymore unless someone holds a gun to my head or it's a really simple job.

End of this week I should have volume two ready to go. I'm simply trying at the moment to get the information into a state where you can follow along without boring the pants of you. No one wants to watch me paint in PS or Mari for 15 hours so i'm trying to concentrate on giving information on the process.

All the best
David

# 29 02-03-2015 , 10:19 PM
SM Tea Boy
Sorry for the delay i've just finished recording part 10 of volume two should be about 13 parts in all maybe 14 i should be finished in the next day or so.

Again sorry about the delay hopefully it will be worth the wait a lot of information packed into this volume.

UV layout, not for the entire house but enough to show how it's done

Texture backing for dealing with the high poly roof in both mental ray and turtle

Lots of paint effects bits
Creation of different variety of trees
Creation of grasses
Creation of bushes and other ground cover
Conversion to poly objects, cleaning up and keeping a library of plants trees and what not

Basic camera matching
Placement of geo with particle systems
Using paint tools to aid in precise placement of instanced geometry.

Should end up at around 6 hours long

Volume 3 will cover various methods of creating lighting and backgrounds for outdoor environments and complex shading networks as well as the final composite and render.

Turned into a bit of a labour of love this one
All the best
Dave

# 30 03-03-2015 , 04:05 PM
Subscriber
thanks very much for the update Dave, really looking forward to it.

Cheers Clarke