Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 31 23-04-2015 , 10:23 AM
Subscriber
Thank you.
To be fair I have not done the items under the bed, in the draws or the computer desk on the other wall. I think I would be for another year getting it all done.

Dushyant - although not quite done with the lighting, I wanted this to be a sunny day image. It was only going to be a small project but it just kept growing. I have another two projects in mind I wish to get going. But again thx for comments.

# 32 23-04-2015 , 08:02 PM
EduSciVis-er
Nice stuff. I really like the new bed fabrics. Does this give you an incentive to clean your room and get rid of a whole bunch of stuff? user added image

# 33 23-04-2015 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber
My room is always spotless - this one based on my room at my dads place has just been done up so is very clean right now - unless my step brother goes though it.

# 34 24-04-2015 , 03:38 PM
Subscriber
user added image

# 35 24-04-2015 , 03:42 PM
EduSciVis-er
I don't think the sweater (or jumper as you UKers call 'em I think) is up to the accuracy that most of the room is at. It look a bit shapeless and isn't quite hanging right. Particularly as that item seems to be currently the focal point of the image, at least for me. Somehow it is drawing my eye strongly. I think the interior volume is too high, the sleeves should be flatter perhaps.

# 36 24-04-2015 , 11:44 PM
The Nurb Herd
Hey most of this is looking great! How about working on the lighting? It's quite flat right now.

# 37 26-04-2015 , 11:29 AM
Subscriber
stwert - yer jumper is gone now. After looking at the light tests I just did with out it there I think they look at lot better without it.

Right been playing around with the lighting in a stripped down version of the room.
I think I am going to stick with it coming though the window out of shot.

user added image

user added image

user added image

Added AO and some vol lighting
user added image

Last edited by tweetytunes; 26-04-2015 at 12:33 PM.
# 38 26-04-2015 , 01:24 PM
Hi, it's coming along nicely. Apart from the main off screen light source, how are you lighting the scene? I ask because in the different images, the bounced lighting and soft indirect shadowing don't seem to be changing much.

Cheers,

G

# 39 26-04-2015 , 02:37 PM
Subscriber
I have a hdri image, which is pulled in by two portal lights over the windows and then a directal light for the sun light. Then mental ray and final gather.

With the tests I just rotated the hdri and the directal light 45 and then 90 der so the sun was coming in the other window (and for the 45 der I thought i might get it in both) But from my understanding I should not have to do anything with the portal lights. - is this wrong ???

# 40 26-04-2015 , 06:14 PM
Perhaps it's the ratio of illumination on your sun vs the hdri & portal lights? I'm not sure, but look at the illumination and shadow aside from the illumination of coming from the sun. I'd expect more variety throughout the whole room when you change the sun's position. Aside from the obvious sun patch, not much is changing.

# 41 26-04-2015 , 07:43 PM
Subscriber
Well just been doing some more tests and the HDRI and portal lights are working when moved (was worried the HDRI was not working and it did not seem to move in renders - but it is).

Here is a break down. (Right click and view image)

user added image

Any tips would be great, but I quite happy with results at mo.

Currently cleaning up the scene ready to finnish off the few things I have to do before final.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 26-04-2015 at 07:49 PM.
# 42 28-04-2015 , 10:04 AM
Subscriber
OK here is were I am at.

user added image

Any other ideas on how to improve this ??

Last edited by tweetytunes; 28-04-2015 at 02:05 PM.
# 43 04-05-2015 , 10:49 PM
The Nurb Herd
hey, it's quite difficult to say really if there is no reference to compare thing to. To me it looks like some of the objects are out of proportion.
I'm not really a fan of the lighting either. I would say the viewer would not know which direction the lighting is coming from. I think you should have the window that is in shot as the key light, or you move the camera so the off screen window is in shot.

Maybe also think about setting up some other angles. Try a couple of close ups of some detailed areas like around the drawers, window sill etc.

# 44 10-05-2015 , 07:39 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
I Honestly agree with Dom, try lighting the scene with Genny's tutorail. It will make a world of difference

# 45 12-05-2015 , 01:07 AM
Super Moderator
I've been keeping tabs on this thread like a creeper lol user added image

I agree with Dom, the lighting isn't popping since the decay isn't very apparent. It could also partly be because the image is underexposed.

Also I say ditch the god rays, or at least tone it down quite a bit, it's really solid and distracting I think.

#backtolurkingkinda

- Genny