Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 121 26-12-2006 , 01:09 AM
Subscriber
Ahh man loving the strappy look on the shoes. One tiny little thing though, i reckon the bottom of his sandals should be a bit thicker and a tiny bit wider to give a more sturdy look.

Edit: It might actually be just the render, cos its a black bg and the sides of his feet might be in shadow. Closeups please!! user added image

Last edited by petrol; 26-12-2006 at 01:11 AM.
# 122 26-12-2006 , 07:18 AM
Subscriber
yeah, the sole needs to be thicker. I am not convinced about the greaves...im going to try a few things. Even doing without them altogether and just run a strap from the shoes as greeks used to wear.

# 123 26-12-2006 , 07:31 AM
Subscriber
looks cool, just wondering are you going to add some leather shin brace behind it like you did with the arm brace?

# 124 27-12-2006 , 01:06 AM
Subscriber
Here is an update. I'm going to attempt doing another set of greaves and then I'll decide which one to keep, but I do like how this one looks.

Attached Thumbnails
# 125 30-12-2006 , 10:04 AM
Subscriber
I started playing around with the environment. Made some tweaks here and there to the face and played with the lights. My idea for the scene is him standing on top of a mountain, on a ledge, with the sky behind him and the skyline barely noticeable at about where his knees are.

I created the shader for the rock using a displacement map (and bump map) of a rock texture I created in PS. the same texture was colored and used for the color. I also added an occlusion node to the color that I need to tweak some more to fake FG where the shoes meet the floor.

Attached Thumbnails
# 126 31-12-2006 , 06:48 AM
Subscriber
small update

Attached Thumbnails
# 127 31-12-2006 , 07:00 AM
thats awesome.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 128 31-12-2006 , 07:28 AM
Acid44
looking user added image good but i still say he should look angry:angery:

# 129 31-12-2006 , 11:30 PM
his expression has more of a 'nobody hit the on switch' kinda feel. does he come with karate chop action?

Accept no substitutions.
# 130 31-12-2006 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber
like the terrain(floor) and the backround ... looks cool. also the scene kind of reminds me to south american indians scene from movies when they had spears,bowin arrow and rid horses lol

"does he come with karate chop action?"

hahaha good one

# 131 01-01-2007 , 05:03 AM
Subscriber
Hi Guys, my intention is to rig him to change his pose. His position right now is not very rig friendly, so I may not attempt an animation with him. I started looking around at tutorials/books, and will give it a try, just not sure if with this char. About the facial expression it is something I need to experiment with, and perhaps i'll create another head just for that purpose.

I played around with IBL and Final Gather today to see what I could get. Funny how all the settings I had for plain MR had to be changed when it came to SSS (the other materials were fine). Here is the result (i left out the rocky piece and the background photo). I did not use HDR on this. Just 2 lights and FG using a white texture on the IBL.

Thx for the comments.

edit: I changed the picture to this newer version with a better skin color.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Minstrel; 02-01-2007 at 10:44 AM.
# 132 03-01-2007 , 03:03 AM
Subscriber
I played with HDR and fine tuned the FG and SSS to work better together. Lots of tweaking. It really was a nightmare to get it to look good. Next time should be a lot easier.

Attached Thumbnails
# 133 03-01-2007 , 04:17 AM
Subscriber
it doesnt look like your shader is scattering lights.
you may have doen the shader network wrong.
a way to test is to place the shader on a simple sphee and put a light source behind it and see if the colors are absorbing the light and scattering it properly.

your mesh has no SSS, from what i can see.

post a screen cap your shader network

# 134 03-01-2007 , 05:27 PM
Subscriber
Hi Vlad, thx for the comments. I took some images of different levels of SSS so you can see the difference. Below I am adding the SSS shading network so you can see it. What do you think?

Attached Thumbnails
# 135 03-01-2007 , 05:30 PM
Subscriber
The one I was inclinded to use is the middle one. When using SSS I am always concerned that I am using too much. Its very hard to conctrol. The moment one changes the type of rendering one has to change all the parameters...its a pain to control. Anyways, here is the shading network.
It has the mentalray texture node connected to the light map, etc...there is a Mib Ambient node attached to a multiplier node and a texture map for the overall color of the SSS shader, I did that for when i was not using FG to fake it. It worked well. With FG I dont need to have that Mib Amb in there, but its not hurting anything, so I just left it.

A couple of interesting things...

1) the filter size hight and width in the mentalray texture node is 1800 by 800 (as oppossed to the traditional 1280-480). The reason for this is that I was not getting good resolution and there were some artifcats. Raising the filter size fixed this.

2) in FD I checked the "view (Radii in pixes size) to get better definition. The Min radious is 1 and the max radious is 6.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Minstrel; 03-01-2007 at 05:36 PM.