Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 26-02-2005 , 05:26 AM

Quadro or GeForce?

Hi Gang,

I've been messing around with Maya for a few weeks now and I'm loving it - I'm really quite hooked and ready to further my hobby with some new hardware. Specifically, something to replace the humble GeForce MX440 I have in my machine right now.

My question is: just how much difference is there, in terms of Maya performance, between a higher-end Geforce 6800 and a lower-end Quadro? Is Geforce (lack of) compatibility a significant problem?

I'm only an intermittent gamer, but the idea of having a card that is *also* a beefy gaming device is really quite tempting. The question is: just how much would I be giving up in the 3d department if I go a GeForce?

Many thanks in advance,
- JB

# 2 26-02-2005 , 08:03 AM
I got a geforce 6800 gt and it's been more than enough for me.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 27-02-2005 , 01:52 AM
hey, go with geforce, maya doesn't use that much video ram, it is mostly processor based. If you play games, go with the 6600GT or 6800GT. Quadros are used for big screens or dual monitors or more.

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
--Albert Einstein
# 4 27-02-2005 , 02:34 AM
No, go with the Ultra > GT

# 5 27-02-2005 , 10:35 AM
Quadro FX 3400 got highest score with maya closely followed by the FX 1300 in simply maya mag.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 6 27-02-2005 , 04:15 PM
Subscriber
I'm running an older Quadro4 980XGL and I haven't found a game yet that it couldn't run. But I mainly use my computer for graphic design, so I'm biased toward the Quadro.

I think you really need to decide what the primary use is going to be. Are you graphics person who plays games or are you a gamer how does graphics? That should be your driving factor.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 7 27-02-2005 , 09:27 PM
Well, personally I don't think there's any major difference between GeForce and Quadro except for Render Time and hardware rendering. I did hardware particles on my GeForce ... good GOD was that "fun" Personally I'm thinking of getting my GeForce FX 5700 Ultra hardmodded to a Quadro FX 1100 Ultra. Warrenty's up and I personally don't see the difference between it and putting a tank of NOX in a car... not illegal o.o

Maybe for commercial purposes -- but I'm a hobbyist... and a cheap one at that :b Aparently for my specific card -- the difference is 1 pair of pins being soddered in a GeForce, and the two beside it soddered in a Quadro. Break the sodder of #1/2 and Sodder #3/4 -- swap the BIOSes -- reload the drivers.