Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 61 17-01-2006 , 04:09 PM
Your Ursus maritimus is looking great mr. t1ckl35... I agree with swanky.. the fur will "bear" up the look nicely.

user added image

# 62 17-01-2006 , 09:42 PM
cheers swankymonkey for looking at some reference pics and pointing out the ears - they do seem to contribute to the 'catness' at the minute user added image

mayafreak3 - well done with the latin name user added image and thanks for the encouragement!

the fur stage is a little worrying as it might end up looking crap. Still it'll be fun experimenting

Some more minor updates, mainly a slight rounding of the head and adding some detail into the ear (though to an extent it is a little guesswork). Different camera angles too so let me know if its still cat-like.
I've also started modelling the lips inside the mouth. Looks like the jaw will need to be rigged to open it up and show the teeth user added image

https://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/po...r/skull11a.jpg

https://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/po...r/skull11b.jpg

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 63 18-01-2006 , 01:47 AM
nice going, now it definately looks like a bear.

# 64 18-01-2006 , 02:01 AM
something about the mouth is odd, i think its too straight

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 65 18-01-2006 , 08:29 AM
This is great !

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 66 18-01-2006 , 08:30 AM
cheers DJbLAZER user added image

well spotted Joopson, It was only blocked in and I only started working on the detail last night. I'm going to block the inside and the gums in first then return to the outer edge and sculpt it to look like hanging lips

thanks caligraphics user added image still plenty to do though!

www.flash-fx.net
# 67 18-01-2006 , 02:03 PM
Really great work T1ck135. This is definately moving in the right direction. I really like the nose area and the skin hanging under his jaw. The only part I am not sure about is the fold in the lower corner of his ear, but I imagine that you are looking after that. I haven't done any rigging, so I am definately going to keep an eye on how you rig the mouth.

keep up the good work.

# 68 18-01-2006 , 09:55 PM
thanks arran user added image the ear front and lower edge is fairly much guesswork at the minute so I'll be going back to it to revise the detail

I've only done one rig so far and it wasn't particularly good so I might open his mouth a bit 'manually' depending on how detailed it might get.

Here's some unclear (sorry) shots of the inner mouth and gums. Blocked in at the moment but a bit more detail will be going in (once I've decided whether to manually pose the mouth or not).

https://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/po...r/skull12a.jpg

https://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/po...r/skull12b.jpg

www.flash-fx.net
# 69 19-01-2006 , 08:55 PM
I've quickly moved the mouth (manually) to an open position to see how it could look. Ignore the lips (upper and lower) as I haven't moved them properly yet. And there isn't a tongue yet.
Think that he's just run after a seal and missed it by a whisker and he's just catching his breath user added image

Let me know if a pose like this would be ok. I dont want a fully open mouth as it would detract from the rest of the head.
Oh btw, I think the outer part of the mouth would deform well if I get the chance to rig it user added image

https://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/po...r/skull13a.jpg

https://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/po...r/skull13b.jpg

www.flash-fx.net
# 70 20-01-2006 , 11:05 AM
19 year Veteran
Very Nice progress T1ckl35 ! user added image

# 71 20-01-2006 , 11:11 AM
Subscriber
looking good although to me he seems like hes smiling.

# 72 20-01-2006 , 01:20 PM
looks cool i really like the top pic and camra angle you use there but i aint sure sure bout the bottom one looks like hes smiling like magic said. I think prolly cos he eyes dont quite match the expression you would expect em to be a bit more sqinted. top one is nice though well done

# 73 20-01-2006 , 03:21 PM
Nice pose choice. You do tend to see bears with their mouths slightly open. I guess weighing as much as they do it takes a lot of effort to get moving even if you're in fighting shape! And don't worry ... I read the part in your last post that said this was a quick pose and to ignore the lips so I won't say the he looks like hes smilinguser added image

Cheers

Dave

# 74 20-01-2006 , 09:57 PM
thanks THX1138 user added image

he's a happy bear magicsy user added image thanks

good point with the eyes jhubbard, when I get round to them I'll think about what the detail will need to be

hehe, thanks Dave, I was hoping someone would read that bit - well spotted user added image and thanks for the vote of confidence with the pose, I'd moved to uvmapping the teeth until I had positive/negative feedback on it user added image

p.s, I could call him smiler user added image

www.flash-fx.net
# 75 20-01-2006 , 10:47 PM
Subscriber
Hehe t1ck, nice nice nice.

I'm impressed 'bout the anatomy.
And as many mentioned, I also think fur will bring all back in place. I really feel the model as close as possible ... regarding the construction of it. user added image

Well, as i also feel there's smthg with eyebrows but what ? ... i've investigated a bit.

Here's the result .. .well, the one I understood looking at photos.

https://www.photo.net/photo/pcd1641/polar-bear-62.4.jpg

Here you can see some improvement you could easily bring to eyebrows. Well, I think user added image

Considering it's a polar bear, the skull you did is amazingly right. But the skinning you have so far over it doesn't consider the fat muscle buckler between eyebrows and ears. To understand what i mean ... on the image, going from the ears to the eyes, you'll see 2 smooth thick edges. One continued through eyebrow. Other one goin down to upper lip junction. A simple pull sculpt along normals will do it perfectly at the back of the eyebrow, to bring this muscle a bit more.
Well, it's hard to say how much as the fur is missing so fur will probably erase the point (well, depending on what mesh you use as fur surface ^^).

I also feel the eyebrow is a bit too flat. Pull the upper part a bit , and maybe smoothing much the down part. A top view would help. I think upper one is back too much as dust could fall in the eye verticaly ... am i right ?

Amazing and lovely pic you got maybe : https://www.polyu.edu.hk/~or/Polar%20...with%20fun.JPG

Well, :attn: , i like many of your entries guys. Level is really good user added image

Hopin it helped a bit dude. Waiting for fur :attn: