Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 91 03-02-2014 , 03:59 AM
Technical Director

Did anyone find a way to use this script with Vray and .exr files? Framepadding doesn't seem to work...

Hi Xiao, is that the only thing that isn't working? Are you using the external frame buffer?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 92 04-02-2014 , 02:52 AM
Hi, thanks for the fast answer,

actually we found out why it did'nt work (apparently the original v-ray presets overwrite the script, so we used the vray presets and now it renders just fine), our original problem wasn't solved though. As soon as we try to render more than one frame (using batch render or your script) some parts of the model don't move accordingly to the animation (weirdly enough that doesn't happen in playblast)...

We haven't found a reason for this yet (probably just some corrupt files), but your script still has helped us a lot, so thank you!! user added image

# 93 12-02-2014 , 09:19 AM

Not Work On newer maya !

user added image
on the newer maya like 2013.5 there is functionality to not hang on render window, because of that, the script just hit next frame , next frame, next frame, and then just render the last frame !
user added image

# 94 12-02-2014 , 12:08 PM
Technical Director

on the newer maya like 2013.5 there is functionality to not hang on render window, because of that, the script just hit next frame , next frame, next frame, and then just render the last frame !

Thanks for reporting! I'll take a look later tonight.

# 95 29-03-2014 , 02:43 AM

Script still not rendering Final Gather

Hey NextDesign, I ran into an issue where batch rendering from Maya with Mental Ray isn't giving me any of the Final Gathering settings I'm trying to use. I tried using your script, which works perfectly - except it's not giving me final gathering, either! Both renders look exactly the same still, which is far different than rendering a single frame. Is there anything I'm missing? I read through this whole thread as far as I can tell, and I don't see anything about that. Thanks!

# 96 29-03-2014 , 08:38 PM
Technical Director
Hi Wedrall, could you send me the file so I can take a look? PM me a link or I'll give you my email address.

Best,

-John

# 97 31-03-2014 , 05:44 AM
Actually, I have just solved the issue, haha. I believe it was due to my having selected "Save raw image" in the render viewport rather than "Save color managed image". Thanks again for the awesome script! Also, just FYI, I noticed that if I cancelled a bunch of renders by hitting escape, Maya would often crash at the last frame of the frame range in the script. I'm not sure if that's avoidable, but its something I noticed.

# 98 31-03-2014 , 07:07 PM
Technical Director
Hi Wedrall, which version of Maya are you using? I'm afraid it might be unavoidable as I'm simply calling built-in Maya commands.

# 99 25-04-2014 , 01:49 AM
hi there! I am having a few problems with the script myself, the main one being that it seems to refuse to render out of my camera1, despite triple checking the render settings, and even using the older code that specifically allows you to change the camera from persp to whatever you like. Is anyone else having this issue, how do I solve it?

Also, is there any way I can minimize the render screen? On my mac, it simply will now allow me to minimize it, and I am trying to work on other things!

thank you! I really wish I could batch render simply without the script but maya is so fussy and I have a project due Wednesday user added image

# 100 25-04-2014 , 06:58 AM
Technical Director
Hi Noirfly, which version of Maya are you using? Are there any errors? Would you mind sending me the file as a .ma? Shoot me a PM with a dropbox link, or a request for my email. We'll get this sorted out for you.

# 101 15-09-2014 , 05:53 AM

Having problems with mental ray batch rendering not function

Hello, I'm new here and I just saw this tread that similar to my problem that I'm facing.
The situation is, after I applied ndynamics in my scene, and want to render it out with mental ray, but it says render completed although it did not render anything. However, it works when rendering with "Maya Software", but the dynamic that I applied gone missing!!!
I wanna try the script that provided by NextDesign, but I don't know how to put the script in it. (I'm just starting using Maya)
I'm using Maya 2014.

Can anyone help?? Urgent to pass up this assignment by Wednesday. Waiting for the reply. Thank you.

Last edited by WendyTan; 15-09-2014 at 06:16 AM.
# 102 16-09-2014 , 03:32 AM
Technical Director
Hi Wendy, you can access the script editor by going to Windows > General Editors > Script Editor. In the window, click Command > New tab, and click MEL. Paste the script in the lower window and edit the settings in the code. Then select all the code, and click Command > Execute.

# 103 30-10-2014 , 11:40 PM
cdozier86
Thanks for the script...but it's not rendering from the current render panel. It renders from Render View, and my current frame when I hit render manually is my camera. It brings up the render view, and it is some COMPLETELY random frame, from some completely random perspective. After I run the script, and it renders the wrong frame, I click render and it's back to my camera1. Batch render does't work, this script (as brilliant as it is) is not working for me...am I screwed?

# 104 20-01-2015 , 05:35 PM

having issues with your code NextDesign:)

Alright! New version! This version now displays a progress bar while rendering, which also allows the user to cancel the rendering by pressing the ESC key. It also now has support for frame padding, of which the number can be easily controlled with the nFramePadLength variable. The last change is that it will also render in any selected image format from the render globals, not just iff!

Hope you guys enjoy!

-John Mather

Hey NextDesign. I know this has been up for quite a while now but I'm having problems rendering in maya 2015 sp5 with vray 3.0 for a couple of weeks that my batch render just renders first frame every time. I found this and have been trying to use it. I actually almost works for me. The thing is, when I try to render the framePadding doesn't seem to work because I'm getting the same file overwritten throughout the entire animation. I also get this error:

// Error: //
// Error: Line 0.1: Syntax error //
Saved //KOA/Koa/Projects/WINEPO/Maya_Project/images/Wine_Po_Rev01_V05.0001.exr

I found that if I have ticked the option for "render animation only in batch mode" it won't work. However if I untick that it will aparently render fine and actually save the image the way it's supposed to. The thing is maya crashes every time.

Thank you very much! I know you're probably quite busy.

# 105 20-01-2015 , 07:32 PM
Technical Director

I found that if I have ticked the option for "render animation only in batch mode" it won't work. However if I untick that it will aparently render fine and actually save the image the way it's supposed to. The thing is maya crashes every time.

Hi Rodrigo, When exactly does Maya crash?