Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-09-2013 , 09:36 PM

HumanIK Animation problem in maya.

Hey guys I posted this in the animation thread but this seems to be a better place for it.

I have been learning how to work with Maya 2013 myself through youtube tutorials and Google. I am stuck with the HumanIK tool while trying to animate my model. I have a Biped model that is rigged and weighted properly. I just started messing around with the HumanIK because of the built in control curves it places on the skeleton.

The problem I am having is with the keyframes. I can’t really think of a way to explain it in question form so I’ll just give an explanation of what is happening. I have a 24 frame test animation. On frame 1 and 24 I have the model standing. On frame 12 I have the model translate down on the y axis a bit, so it will return to the starting position on frame 24. I then add something simple such as moving the arm to the side on frame 18. The problem is that the arm doesn't start moving on frame 1 - 18 – 24, it starts on frame 12 - 18 - 24. It seems on the timeline that when I set a keyframe the whole rig gets set instead of the control I have selected. This problem is really messing me up when I am trying to animate something more complex.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

# 2 09-09-2013 , 01:13 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi eman72, I'm still a beginner when it comes to animation but it sounds like you might have the auto keyframe option turned on. (Button with a key located in the bottom right hand corner turns red when auto is on.)

If this is the case then click it off and key select only the controls you want to move.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 3 09-09-2013 , 05:04 PM
It seems that the problem was with the HIK controllers themselves. You can toggle between full body, part body, and selection. I was unaware of this. When full body is selected and you set a keyframe, it keys everything in the skeleton chain. Clicking on body part allowed me to just keyframe the parts i wanted. Finding that out fixed the problem!