Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 15-02-2004 , 11:10 PM

stitching

hey all, im having trouble with some nurbs. i modeled a head in polys, then converted to sub-d's then nurbs. now i am trying to stitch the nurbs so they are in seperate patches: cheek, nose, eye socket, ear, dome...that stuff, but the stitch tool doesn't seem to want to work? any suggestions...

# 2 16-02-2004 , 09:10 PM
how is it not working? I mean, what is it doing wrong?

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

:tup:
# 3 16-02-2004 , 09:51 PM
well, there are a lot of little patches that i am trying to put together...so like the ear is one patch, the cheek is one patch...when i do it, each patch folds in on itself...then when i think i got it right they stitch, but they do not become one object, each patch is still seperate, but stitched...what i was trying to do is make it so once its stitched, it becomes one object...you dig?

# 4 16-02-2004 , 11:35 PM
Does each patch have the same number of spans and are the UVs flowing in the same direction?

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 5 17-02-2004 , 12:04 AM
The Maya Mountain
patches will always be seperate objects. They'll never combine into one object. That's just how stitching nurbs surfaces works.

# 6 17-02-2004 , 12:46 PM
i think i will have to fix the spans and uvs...im pretty sure that they are not all the same...

# 7 17-03-2004 , 10:59 AM
If you can't make the nurbs patches into one obejct, how do you get a 'skin' that you can animate? Are nurbs just there to model with, and then convert to polygons to join into one shape?

everybody is somebody elses weirdo
# 8 17-03-2004 , 01:13 PM
The Maya Mountain
to animate a patch model, you have to make sure the skeleton weighting on the seams of each patch are the same so that they animate together... kinda hard to do, really. I usually convert to polys, or use polys to begin with. But they both work fine for those who prefer them.

# 9 17-03-2004 , 01:35 PM
I haven't learned to do any proper animation yet, would you suggest that I stick to polygon shapes instead of using a patch model?

everybody is somebody elses weirdo
# 10 17-03-2004 , 02:24 PM
The Maya Mountain
I would suggest using polys until you get pretty familiar with animation and other basic maya functions before trying your hand at nurbs, as I think everyone would agree that they are easier.

When it comes to general workflow, either geometry type works well for those who know how to use them, and it comes down to a matter of personal preference.