Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 25-06-2006 , 07:12 AM
Subscriber

nonmanifold vertex :S

Ok, I've just downloaded Maya persornal learning editon some days ago.
And I wanted to make a Rhino
user added image
So far I've gotten. BUT when Im trying to convert the polygon to a subdiv the script editor says
"Nonmanifold geometry cannot be converted to a subdivision surface"
I figured out where the Nonmanifold geometry could be,
using the `Cleanup tool´instead of cleaning up I just choosed the "Select Nonmanifold geometry".

And here they are...
user added image

What shall I do now?

Btw: May I upload pictures of Maya, When Im using Maya Persornal learning editon?

# 2 25-06-2006 , 08:48 AM
yes you are allowed to upload pics with PLE. I guess your normals are flipped. you may have a look at the faces´ normals from the horn.

you´ll run into nonmanifold geometry quite often further on. understanding what nonmanifold geometry really is will save you a lot of time. by avoiding to even create nonmanifold geometry in the first place you don´t need to clean it up later.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 3 25-06-2006 , 11:37 AM
Subscriber
Still lost user added image

# 4 25-06-2006 , 11:44 AM
Subscriber
well this is going to be a hard one since you are using PLE ..because PLE files dont open up in the full program maya ...i could be wrong though ...what is that last thing you did before you could not convert ?

if you go to display >custom poly >then click on highlight borders and set the value to 5

that helps it shows you edges ..maybe you have duplicate edges in one place or take a screenie ..edges will be thicker and only suppose to have one in givin area if it is truly on an edge ...

also another thing i have found to trouble shoot ..if you go to vertices faces and see one that looks like it is on top ..then you have two faces on top and need to delete the whole face and readd it ..

if you are confused let me know ..hope that helps

# 5 25-06-2006 , 12:20 PM
Subscriber
Here is the screenies...
user added image
Inside the Rhino...
user added image

also another thing i have found to trouble shoot ..if you go to vertices faces and see one that looks like it is on top ..then you have two faces on top and need to delete the whole face and readd it

Could you explain that for me again? I'm still a noob user added image

# 6 25-06-2006 , 12:44 PM
Subscriber
okay see the thick highlight ring at the horn base ? well think of it this way .... is that the end of something there is nothing else on it ? well that is an edge ... well if you look you have the rest of horn on top of it ..so that is not an edge ...here is an example real quick .

okay the picture ..both have highlighted areas ..those are edges ..end ones ...so that means there is nothing on top of them and finished ...if you add something on top you are not suppose to have an edge ..you join two things and they make a line and join ...so you have a horn and it is not joined to body correctly

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 25-06-2006 , 12:51 PM
Subscriber
okay now look at my quick horn ...it doesnt have the big ring at the base ..cause i extruded ... correctly ... .so you should have not an edge cause you have more stuff on top and not an ending

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 25-06-2006 , 12:52 PM
Subscriber
Ok I understand it now, thanks . :attn:

Any Idea what I could do, to let the horn and body get join correctly?

# 9 25-06-2006 , 12:56 PM
Subscriber
well i would do it the long way ...maybe anothe way ..I would just pick faces and delete til i got all the way down to the highlight line and then just extrude edges all over to get the shape you want ...but that is just me ..

# 10 25-06-2006 , 01:33 PM
Subscriber
user added image

Last edited by Mads_Anthony; 25-06-2006 at 01:36 PM.
# 11 25-06-2006 , 01:39 PM
Subscriber
keep us update on the project ...you can start a thread in WIP to help you along the way and crits ..which always help .. user added image

# 12 25-06-2006 , 01:43 PM
Subscriber
Ok, I will do that. And thanks alot you've been a great help for me:bow: