Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 76 13-09-2003 , 08:12 PM
Subscriber
hey its looking really good, taking shape user added image

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 77 13-09-2003 , 08:48 PM
Subscriber
To get the total number of polys, you need to select all objects (not faces or edges) and choose Polygons>Triangulate. That way, all of your faces will triangulate. Again as Icarus said, if you only want to triangulate a few faces for some reason, you need to select the faces.

# 78 14-09-2003 , 01:54 AM
Subscriber

Triangles?? Doh!

Counting Poly's????
Hmmm... Darkware you have confused me a bit here....

If I have the selection (i.e. whole scene) in 'Green or White' ??
Then I get an Error when I try to triangulate....
But, if I then convert so Faces or Edges I get a result in the poly count HUD...?

Must be doing something wrong, it worked OK 1st time I tried it....Hmmm....?
i wonder if it's because, last time I used it, I left it on? I dunno?

But I get a result if I select sedges or faces? Hmmm, I forget fault, but it says something like 'wrong selection' ? So I went for face/Edges...BTW - wanna do "All the scene - In poly count" at the moment... Thanks.. user added image

Regards Scraggy :bgreen:

Last edited by Scraggy_Dogg; 14-09-2003 at 02:00 AM.
# 79 14-09-2003 , 02:02 AM
If you want to get the poly count of all the objects in the scene, select them all, so they are green or white, and do Polygons > Triangulate. Make sure you havent got anything else in the selection that isnt a polygonal object or it will give you that error.

# 80 14-09-2003 , 02:15 AM
Subscriber

Thanks

Hmmm Thanks,
I better check what's going on...
And there was me going to move on to the tunnels/passages Rooms etc ...

# 81 15-09-2003 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber

New Lower Poly Version (NPLV) - lol

Hi, Here's my new terminal and seat, I like the older one's style better, but this has less poly's so will keep it as 'Furniture' .....
I haven't a clue what to do about the 'Texturing ' part of this competition, I have made some really cool ones in Photoshop, but none are any use for this scene? well, NM will keep going and see... Anyone need a Denim texture :p

BTW - When I saw the shape look like a 'Hunched figure', I sorta played on it... Does it make it look naff? If you don't know what I'm on about - NM
Scraggy
user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 82 16-09-2003 , 01:03 AM
Subscriber
I like that uses its polys efficiently and is a good shape imho.

# 83 16-09-2003 , 09:15 PM
Subscriber

Need help..

Thanks Witchy, and may I say your Character is looking really cool, the face is coming on great, I will have to have a go at that Character modelling soon but I don't have a scanner to get the Images in. [I've never even set a plane up yet!] I don't suppose there are any on the net??? (Got links to cars and spacecraft maybe will try a simple one of those first)

I hope someone can help me out here because I have been trying to create decent looking texture(s) for my Level.
I'm especially having problems with mesh type ones or the 'walkway' type of stuff - like in Unreal. where there are just raised bumps so you don't slip. Are there any tutorials for Photoshop that shows how to do grills/mesh's etc?

And the 'alpha' channel... Is that for creating these bumps, in a bump-map? (And do I need one to create a 'glass' texture?) I'm just about to try learning how to create them in Photoshop, some basics would help a lot..

Regards Scraggy

# 84 16-09-2003 , 11:45 PM
i must say scraggy, i like that new terminal you made. keep up the good work user added image

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 85 22-09-2003 , 05:44 PM
Subscriber

Textures Textures.....

Having major problems with Textures, but being as I ain't posted in a while here is where I'm up to....
Have not been able to do much since the Fan fell off my VGA board and no-one would attempt to fix it - I have had to do it....!!

Regards Scraggy -

BTW I have given up on doing hallways/rooms etc because I have lost so much time trying to make textures, and with the fan problem aswell - have no time left.
Poly's still way below the Maximum set by Mike so will do my best to use this Competition to learn Poly's and Texturing - I even went out and bought "Maya Savvy" today because this texturing I find really hard...(Even though I could not afford it!) - LOL

Regards Scraggy

Attached Thumbnails
# 86 25-09-2003 , 12:43 PM
Subscriber
Still having problems making my own textures, I'm getting a bit fed up of looking at a blank 512 square in Photoshop.
I may do some more modelling and call it a day.

Scraggy user added image

# 87 25-09-2003 , 02:51 PM
Subscriber
Hey, i love this for the most part. Its very techy and has a good look to it. Just whats throwin me off if your pointed house roof and box off cuttings on some of those large buildings in the back. I think they need a overhand and i say ditch the pointed roof. Just my opinion though user added image. Otherwise im liking everything!

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 88 25-09-2003 , 03:24 PM
The Maya Mountain
Might want to start texturing here pretty soon. Time's runnin' out. user added image

# 89 25-09-2003 , 09:26 PM
Subscriber

Needs a Blue Pill.....

I have tried texturing, but looks so bad..... user added image
I really don't want to put it up on display.... Its been this for like 2 weeks now..(Check my prev posts) It really sucks...
I have done some Photoshop tutorials and done some texturing tut's but all are wrong for my scene.... To be honest I'm a bit fed up with trying (That's why I bought the book) ...

Regards Scraggy

# 90 25-09-2003 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber
Well this may not help but I'd say keep at it.

I have been having a few problems myself (this is my first game model texturing experience and first humanoid complete uv unwrap so you aren't alone int he wow this is a big task thing).

I found the best thing is to look at your model and pick one part and then work on that part. Looking at a whole scene and thinking 'OMG I haven't textured it yet' is depressing.

I find now everything is mapped (and what a process that is) taking one thing into PS to work on is actually quite a relief.

Pick something small from your scene and try applying the tutorials to it - there are some good PS metal ones on the net that are easy to follow for example and I am sure you need something metal! Once you have one thing it'll get easier.

And now I must return to ripping out my remaining hair over dwarf beards 8).

Don't quit now!