Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 01-08-2007 , 12:24 PM
this is the half side,
As you can see the leg and arm are in the opposite side.
Well almost all the car transformers toy that I saw the back of the car turns 180 degrees when it transforms to a robot, and I want to make it like that.
So the left back car when it trasform into a robot will become the right leg.

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 01-08-2007 , 12:28 PM
And comes the head.

And so the joints.
Nothing tricky, this model is not even skinned, it is just parented to the joint.(and I will suggest to make it in this way, just in case you need to move different parts in different ways when comes to transforming stage.)

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 01-08-2007 , 12:36 PM
Now in this case I did in frame 01, but my intention is to make in the further progress all this transforming animation by Driven key, so doesn`t really matter in with frame you key, it is just to save the position.

Well in the frame 01 I keyed in the robot pose, and frame 100 in the car pose, so I move it to the middle 50 and posed into a position that looks like it is transforming(with the hand on the ground).

That basically how I did so far.

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 01-08-2007 , 12:56 PM
Subscriber
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! i now have a better understanding of how this is done, nicetutorial would you consider making a video tutorial on how to make this transformer robot,

# 20 01-08-2007 , 01:22 PM
Will be really nice if you make a video tut user added image

# 21 01-08-2007 , 02:54 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Stormgetto
Ok everybody.

I appreciate for all that excitement, but...
I think you guys are thinking that this model already have full animatic FK/IK system , and all those parts that transform are correctly done.

Well is not...
I would need to go back and remake all the rigging stuff, and the UVS at the moment are useless, and some interior parts doesn`t fit when`s in the car shape so I`m hiding it ( and those kind of stuff that I would like to replace and make it not hidden).

It is still a long way to go.

But so for those who ask me how I did that so far I will post some WIP pics, and information...that might help.

So let start.

first I started with the car, because obviously my intention here is to make something to transform into a car.

and after the car is done, I started to break the body into peaces.
(Before I start breaking I knew quite for sure with part go where when this model get tranformed, so wasn`t too difficult to figure`t out how I should break it, so my advice is to get to know how you going to break and make it transform)

hi

how do you break the geometry?

# 22 02-08-2007 , 01:06 PM
Subscriber
You can break the polygon surfaces up by using the split polygon tool to cut up the desired shapes on the surface and then use extract to put them into their own individual pieces.

Chris

# 23 03-08-2007 , 08:05 AM
okay, now that helps a lot (knowing how you did it).

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 24 04-08-2007 , 07:09 AM
bendingiscool : Nice one.

jali: Do as Bending said, but don`t forget that breaking into diferent parts will leave "transform" nodes, and if you delete those nodes....uuuhhh...So after breaking into diferent parts just delete the history of the geometry for precaution,
And another thing I always do is to center the orientation, and freeze transformation, is not that you need to.

I`m doing the engine box.

I took reference from a real engine but I needed to modified a bit to make it ease for transformation, like normal "real" engine has diferent parts depending on the left or right side.
But in this case I have the same shape and parts in both sides.
Doesn`t looks real but, for someone who doesn`t know nothing about mechanic, I belive doesn`t matter really.

About the video, depending on demand I will, but at the end of this thread, I belive I will not have more to say.

Attached Thumbnails
# 25 04-08-2007 , 10:26 AM
I made a model of a transformers toy for my advance higher graphic communication course (last year of school). Nw that i look back on it a year later I dont see why i liked it so much.
Apart form the environment had to get knocked togeather in like a day.

Yours is looking good though!

# 26 06-08-2007 , 06:45 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Stormgetto
bendingiscool : Nice one.

jali: Do as Bending said, but don`t forget that breaking into diferent parts will leave "transform" nodes, and if you delete those nodes....uuuhhh...So after breaking into diferent parts just delete the history of the geometry for precaution,
And another thing I always do is to center the orientation, and freeze transformation, is not that you need to.

I`m doing the engine box.

I took reference from a real engine but I needed to modified a bit to make it ease for transformation, like normal "real" engine has diferent parts depending on the left or right side.
But in this case I have the same shape and parts in both sides.
Doesn`t looks real but, for someone who doesn`t know nothing about mechanic, I belive doesn`t matter really.

About the video, depending on demand I will, but at the end of this thread, I belive I will not have more to say.

thanks for the reply, i really hope you do consider making a video tutorial, the reason being i actually find it easier to follow and understand, good luck on finishing your robot and winning a ps3!!!!!

# 27 08-08-2007 , 08:04 PM
19 year Veteran
Fascinating stuff Stormgetto! Although I hated the movie ( I'm a G1 Purist ) I still find the technology of it very intresting. A video tut would be easier to understand than trying explaining it from just pics alone.

# 28 08-08-2007 , 08:21 PM
Acid44
video,VIDEO!!!:bandit:

transformer looks sweet man excellent workuser added image :bow: :bow:

# 29 09-08-2007 , 04:41 AM
Subscriber
dude that just looks wow lol

# 30 19-02-2008 , 08:03 AM
19 year Veteran
What ever happened to this project? Is it still in the works?