Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 23-08-2010 , 12:43 AM
Subscriber
looks good so far.
i'd like to see you posting screen shots from mudbox, it's rare to see such things around here

Originally posted by bullet1968
cmon mate...where the bloody hell are ya??

advertising australia?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 17 23-08-2010 , 01:00 AM
Lifetime Member
bahahahah nah mate...no need to advertise...we know who we are.

cheers bullet

But she WAS hot!!!!

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 18 25-08-2010 , 05:22 PM
EduSciVis-er
Just wanted to say I'm taking a short break/holiday from maya and stuff, so that's why progress has been slow, but I will be back in the challenge next week stronger than ever user added image That's a promise user added image

# 19 25-08-2010 , 05:34 PM
# 20 25-08-2010 , 09:11 PM
Lifetime Member
Enjoy the break mate...see you back soon

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 21 14-09-2010 , 04:03 AM
EduSciVis-er
Well finally got something done on this, nothing major, but I'm working on the room environment for my skeleton. Hopefully things will move a little quicker now, but you know how life is user added image
https://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4318/deskocc02.png

I was trying to figure out a fast way to mirror a curve, but it doesn't seem to have a function like geometry, so I wrote a very small script to do this. Maybe there is a simple way, but I wrote MEL commands to: duplicate, scale across x, reverse curve direction, attach curves, close curves, delete the historical curve.

I'll post it if anyone's interested, but it's nothing too impressive. Probably bugs too user added image

# 22 14-09-2010 , 05:56 AM
Lifetime Member
Can I ask why you were or what you were mirroring mate??

Only 2 days left...I wont be done...not by a long shot..hope you are faring better??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 23 14-09-2010 , 06:38 AM

Originally posted by bullet1968

Only 2 days left...I wont be done...not by a long shot..hope you are faring better??

One month and 2 days mate.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 24 14-09-2010 , 06:55 AM
Lifetime Member
bahahaha sssweeeeetttttttt steve...sorry mate I know not the dates or days anymore LOL they just roll into one when you work my crazy hours etc.

I shall shuteth my gob and be thankful you are watching omnipresent one.

cheers bullet

user added image yyyaayyy well stwert Im suck anyway but hope you are going to do alright LOL

bullet1968

# 25 14-09-2010 , 04:21 PM
EduSciVis-er
Haha, yeah we have some time, but unfortunately I was budgeting another month and I still doubt I'll get done what I want to. Anyway, I was mirroring the curves for the handles (they're curve based and lofted to poly).

# 26 13-10-2010 , 04:36 PM
EduSciVis-er
K, I've given up on the skeleton for now, it was a bit much to bite off at the moment. I wanted to take all the bones into mudbox, but I realized I didn't have foggiest idea how to work in mudbox, so I just decided to put this project on the shelf and try to get a handle on sculpting. So here's just a random alien bust I've been working on, no ref or anything, just out of my head.

https://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6...ensculpt01.jpg
https://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3...ensculpt02.jpg
https://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2...ensculpt03.jpg

Maybe I'll be able to finish it off this week and post it as my entry, though I realize it's not exactly horror. Mind you, if an alien showed up in my bedroom, I'd probably be horrified enough.

# 27 13-10-2010 , 05:04 PM
The thin red line
That looks good stwert, if you give it the right texture it could look horrific?...........dave

# 28 14-10-2010 , 08:09 AM
I like the look of this guy. Not seen anything like it before.

An alien could fit into the horror theme - Just look at the alien movie by ridley scott.

I agree with Dave - texturing (and lighting) will make this. Hope you have time to do something. user added image

# 29 14-10-2010 , 10:40 PM
I'd agree that an alien could be included in the horror theme, but would also point out that the reason that the Alien films in particular are classified as horror are one, because of the specific look of the creature (they are quite horrible looking, dark, slimy evil etc) and two (the main reason) the film is actually scary in timing and has a tense atmospheric feel to it. The hunt of the humans by the alien is mainly the horror part of it.
I would classify your alien as he is as more of a sci fi alien that horror, deep space nine etc, not really scary, just not from this world. Try adding a bit of anger, a look of evil twistedness to him.
Overall he is looking good though Stwert!

# 30 15-10-2010 , 12:44 AM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I wasn't really intending him to be a horror character. Rest assured that if that was my primary goal, it would look quite different. I'm just trying to get handle on sculpting at the moment, and I thought I'd post him up in this thread rather than start another WIP.