Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 17-01-2005 , 05:58 PM
Subscriber

Building a thruster light and placing it on a character

Am trying to set up 2 lights behind this 3d character.I use spot lights to do so.How can I make them to stick on the back at all times? Bear in mind that i have a skeleton inside the skin.I want everything to go together.
I wanna import the character afterwards to an other work.

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~gkostas/maya.JPG

https://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~gkostas/maya1.JPG

Also my IK handles always stay behinduser added image .Can someone explain me how I group them cos by simply selcting them and click on group ain't work.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by CheekyKid; 18-01-2005 at 04:05 PM.
# 2 17-01-2005 , 08:12 PM
YOu can parent them under the geometry in the right position or use point constraints to get them in right place. They should then follow the mesh around as you want.

:bandit:
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 17-01-2005 , 08:20 PM
Subscriber
As for the IK handles, this might be a result of "double-transformation." No, I'm not sure exactly what that term means, but it has something to do with inputs nodes to your geometry. You might try (if you haven't already) deleting history on your model prior to rigging and then see you IK handles join properly.
I'm still focused modelling, so animation is an area I'm still trying to figure out myself, but I hope this helps.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 4 17-01-2005 , 08:24 PM
Subscriber
Oh yeah, I just remembered one other tip. When you parenting for animations, create a group node then parent to that node vice parenting directly to the model. I.e. select the model by itself and group it to nothing, the group node will still be created and will take on it's own history (inputs/outputs) and depending on how you model is built, will allow everything under the group node to be child object for selection purposes.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 5 17-01-2005 , 09:16 PM
Subscriber
Am not managing with regards the Ik handles.If i constrain point them then the whole hand stucks in 1 position.can someone show me step by step how to do it? i have the same problem with the lights