Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-03-2013 , 01:35 PM

Good Mesh - Bad Mesh

Hey guys! user added image

I have to make an editable clean mesh that in the end is going
to be converted in a stl. file and will be printed.

I know from Face-meshes that you would make circles for the eyes and work yourself around it.

Could you tell me if my mesh looks right, or how I could improve the mesh.
I know i have a few triangles and "stars" but that was the best I could figure out.

Pic 1 shows the mesh and the second one is the reference object.

Thanks for the help!
Have a nice day user added image

Phil

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 20-03-2013 , 06:27 PM
The thin red line
I would`nt call yours a bad mesh but I would make it different myself, I would use the tops of a pipe primative to get the shape then combine and patch together...................dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 20-03-2013 , 06:44 PM
Thanks Dave,

where exactly are the main differences
between your approach and mine?

The thing is that I would like/need to have vertical rows for the side and the exact curve/wave at the top, to edit it afterwards.
But the thing I came up with by now is totally messed up, just not clean at all.
So should I disregard the side and the top and build a clean mesh and afterwards edit it with zbrush or something?

Cause now i am really stuck between getting a good clean mesh, and getting a mesh where I can insert "tactically" good edgeloops and edit it the way i would like to.

Thanks a lot for the time!

Phil

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 20-03-2013 , 06:59 PM
The thin red line
Your second mesh looks a lot like I would do it, when you are creating organic mesh like this the shape dictates were the edges go. Does it look like the thing you are modelling if so get on to the next partuser added image...............dave

# 5 20-03-2013 , 07:15 PM
That ist actually the first mesh, just further.. The problem is it doesnt look clean at at..
I cannot insert proper edge loops and everything is just a big mess. :/

I dont know how to build mesh. Because the holes are so close to each other that I cannot build without having triangles or "stars".

I really dont know how else one could build it to have a proper stable mesh.

# 6 21-03-2013 , 08:34 AM
Lifetime Member
If its for printing then ngons and tris wont matter...once you take it into Material Magics or similar it will rebuild it. The way dave did it is just fine....and you can use seperate geo anyways. Post up a image for the ref....I will show you.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 21-03-2013 , 10:19 AM
Hey bullet,

thanks for the advice. Sounds great to me.

What i need in the end is a *stl file that contains my measurements etc..

I uploaded a few pictures.
First one is the front. The grey object is the reference
with the difference that I use the purple holes instead
of the 4 that are already in. The rest is exact how it should be.

Reference 2 shows the red line that I have to be able to
edit in the end (crease it or whatever).

Reference 4 is the mesh that i have currently come up with.

My goal was to make a clean basic mesh in order to edit/sculpt details into it in zbrush.
But when I try to insert edge loops to make the corners more crisp it all messes up.
So thats my problem right now.

The blue lines in 2 and 3 show where I have to detail the surface afterwards in zbrush.

Thanks for the help
Appreciate.

Philcc

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 05-04-2013 , 11:21 AM
So for an stl file in order to print or make a mould you dont need one solid mesh?
So I can just have like 3 different meshes with different polycount maybe and just combine everything and then convert into an stl?

# 9 06-04-2013 , 02:40 AM
Lifetime Member
from what I can remember yes Phil that is the case, though you have to look out for mold traps etc

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes