Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 03-03-2003 , 12:40 AM
Subscriber

I'm a newbie looking for advice!

I'm fairly new to Maya. I just completed the bouncing ball through ring of fire lesson on the learning Maya 4 book. I just found this website. It appears that I have to purchase points in order to get tutorials. My question is this...I want to know if the tutorials take into consideration that Maya is the first 3d tools a person may have ever used. Do they teach you the very basics! that you'll need to know?. thx in advance

When men talk dirty to women it's considered sexual harrassment. When women talk dirty to men it's $3.95 per minute
# 2 03-03-2003 , 12:47 AM

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 03-03-2003 , 12:49 AM
Subscriber
No my friend ... you can take advantage of the FREE tutorials first.

only if you like them ( which you will ) you consider buying points
for the VIP area.

Enjoy,

Konstantinos

You know, there are at least two ways of getting things done... Your way and the right way...
# 4 03-03-2003 , 12:52 AM
Look at all the free tutorials first and you'll get a good idea about modelling...etc

btw: their video tutorials so you really just have to copy

user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 5 03-03-2003 , 12:57 AM
Subscriber
Wow! That was some quick responses! I'm loving this site already. I think I'm gonna buy $100.00 worth of points. I like these tutorials! Whoever decided to have these video tutorials was a genius! The written ones are ok, but nothing beats an actual demonstration

When men talk dirty to women it's considered sexual harrassment. When women talk dirty to men it's $3.95 per minute
# 6 03-03-2003 , 01:03 AM
Subscriber
Yea, you will be able to learn so much from the VIP tutorials. The UV Planar Mapping tutorial is awesome, the modelling tutorials are awesome.... well basically its ALL awesome! You can learn a lot of shortcuts and tools from the pros here at SM user added image. By the way, you entered just at the right time.. if you want to use the tutorials and then work on a project, you should join this months competition, which has a noobie entry level so that if you join that, you will be competing with people around your level user added image. You should consider it because its a awesome learning experience, no money to join.. nothing like that, just a lot of fun user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 7 03-03-2003 , 01:09 AM

Re: I'm a newbie looking for advice!

# 8 03-03-2003 , 01:09 AM
Subscriber
I definitely will give it a try! Seeing as how I'm such a newbie, Does anyone recommend a tutorial I should start with?

# 9 03-03-2003 , 01:25 AM
Subscriber
For here on SM a good tutorial to start with would be first off all the free ones (most of the modelling ones at least). Then I would suggest the Tie Fighter tutorial, then the Poly Head tutorial, and the a few other good ones to have is the 3 point lighting tutorial, and the UV Planar mapping tutorial. Sounds like a lot, but those ones are great starters user added image.

BTW, if you do buy points, you will have them within the next couple minutes user added image.

# 10 03-03-2003 , 01:25 AM
Subscriber
When I was more of a noobie, I really enjoyed the simple man tutorial. It covers how to extrude faces from a simple cube to create the basis for a body.

The only problem was that Kevin used sub-divs to model it, which is only avaliable in Maya 4.0 Unlimited. I have Maya 4.0 Complete, so I ran into a problem. To get passed this, I figured out a way to simulate sub-divs. This process can be found in the help menu of Polygons>Average Vertices. Hopefully you have a version that has Sub-Divs.

https://www.simplymaya.com/vip.shtml?tut=29

# 11 03-03-2003 , 01:27 AM
Subscriber
Oh, also, like darkware is saying.. the videos that got me on my feet were the Poly Extrude tutorial, the Poly Splitting tutorial, and then definately the Hand tutorial.. which really teaches a lot user added image. Theres a free one on planar mapping im pretty sure, that is in the shark tutorial.. it teaches you a lot as well.

# 12 03-03-2003 , 05:22 AM
Welcome layzahr.

Yeah you'll find that this site is awesome and very helpful.

Isn't it cool how fast people can respond to your questions? There's always someone here to help. Anytime of the day.

Enjoy the site. user added image

- Matt

Last edited by mshoward82; 04-03-2003 at 03:40 AM.
# 13 03-03-2003 , 08:50 AM
great! I am new here too,my friend tell me about here,so i come,the free tut seem very good to me.

# 14 03-03-2003 , 12:56 PM
Subscriber
Thank you all! I appreciate it! Also, I've been trying to download the free software videomach. I can never seem to get through. It appears that there is some sort of bandwith issue. Does anyone know of a reliable site I may be able to get it from? If not, will any of you be able to email it to me? I hear it's only 1.5megs. Thanks in advance

# 15 03-03-2003 , 01:01 PM
Kevin
welcome layzahr and flyman user added image