Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 23-08-2006 , 10:24 PM

Leaf

Hi!

I have created this leaf in Maya which I know is not a great deal on modelling because my focus is to really get good textures to make this cartoonish leaf get the properties that a real leaf has, meaning that it gets translucency, reflectivity, luminosity, dirt, etc.

I haven't finished it yet, still needs some tunning in some properties.

cheers

Attached Images

Mark R.
# 2 24-08-2006 , 04:30 AM

Another image

making some few bits and pieces, here I show a further look from the leaf user added image hope you guys like it, I would thank any critics

cheers

Attached Images

Mark R.
# 3 24-08-2006 , 07:42 AM
well i think the coloring and translucency look great (it took me a while to understand why you had pink spheres behind it), but i don't know of many leaves that have small scratches on them like that... i've seen larger scratches that go along a whole leaf, but since leaves are generally pretty small i believe it to be uncommon to see a leaf with little tiny scratches. i think i'd also look at reference pics for the type of leaf you're trying to texture, cause there seem to be quite a lot of veins running through it.

Accept no substitutions.
# 4 01-09-2006 , 08:59 AM

Big Scene

Thanks NeoRider for your critic and excuse my delay on responding to your reply, I agree with you on the scratchs, they look quite unbelievable :blush: so I will make some changes to it user added image

cheers!

Mark R.
# 5 03-09-2006 , 06:33 AM
Subscriber
I think it looks great. Did you use some kind of SSS material for this?

# 6 04-09-2006 , 01:04 AM
I have rendered this last image with the changes made to the leaf, but unfortunately with the distance they are not noticable.

This last render reunites some projects I have done previously like the grass wich is generated with a MEL Script. The goal was to create a scenery similar to the ones you see in "a bugs life" or something similar hehe, I know the camera position is not ideal but I wanted to show good lights and shadows on the grass.. so imagine that you are seen the scene as a bug would, like from the ground.

Hope you guys like the final render and I would be very grateful if you guys could give me some critics

All the materials used in the leaf where generated in Photoshop with brushes, and the background is an HDR image user added image

cheers!

Attached Images

Mark R.
# 7 04-09-2006 , 03:31 AM
Subscriber
hey nice work, the bone struckture looks a lil wierd on the leaf but hey it does make it look more cartoony with it like that