Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-04-2010 , 01:10 AM
Lifetime Member

Loki's Lego policeman (one off)

Hi guys,

I have started this new thread to keep out of bigtommyb's lego characters. I am in no way taking anything from bigtommyb (or competing) so if you want to see the Master do his thing please follow his thread. Mine is a one off model, inspired by bigtommyb and my son Loki who is now your biggest fan bigtom!!! Im sure he will shortly ask you for a Ben 10!! damn cartoons. I will put in his request....

I love bigtoms simple idea and it gives me an oppurtunity to try something on the side of my other projects, which is simple enough for a noob to do without tutorials. A little help and close watching of bigtom and his methods/progress will be essential for this noob to emulate.

Once again to re-iterate, Im not competing, just emulating. To be good as some one like bigtom you need to watch and learn.

cheers bullet

PS bigtom thanks man!! and I didnt know how to paste the link to your thread here, sorry, I tried but failed.

Here is the smooth Chirone, a few edges to delete and update the UV.

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 27-04-2010 , 01:13 AM
Lifetime Member

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 03-05-2010 , 11:20 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok Ive done the mapping,

undercoat is done, a little more and it will be done I hope.

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 4 03-05-2010 , 11:20 PM
Lifetime Member
and a smoothed version

I had difficulty getting the dimensions right. I used a real lego policeman for the measurements but Maya was a fickle girl in reproducing them. Dont know what was going on, have it set correctly?

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 03-05-2010 at 11:23 PM.
# 5 04-05-2010 , 01:09 AM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, I think your lego man might be suffering from microencephaly... but keep it up!

# 6 04-05-2010 , 01:42 AM
Lifetime Member
bahahahahaha you bugger!!!! yeh I had it right the first time but it looked too big!!! Then I adjusted it and you picked it up.......bahahahahahahahaha. I will fix.

Sanchu barramundi for your critique though stwert (yes I knew what you meant, I googled to make sure). You have made my day mate, Im still pissing myself laughing at the comment.....bahahahahahaha

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 7 04-05-2010 , 01:53 AM
Lifetime Member

microcephaly

bahahahahahah Im still laughin, here stwert is this better?

bahahahahaa

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 8 04-05-2010 , 03:18 AM
EduSciVis-er
Yes, much better, haha, though the arms might be a tad short too, I think they overlap with the hips. I won't try to come up with a medical term for short arms...

# 9 04-05-2010 , 03:37 AM
Lifetime Member
nah they do mate, they are just raised slightly. On the side view they hang ok.... bahahahaha still laughin!

cheers bullet

PS short-limb dysplasia

bullet1968

# 10 05-05-2010 , 12:47 AM
Subscriber
you named your son Loki?? are you expecting him to cause lots of trouble? user added image

looks like it's improving nicely, the arms could do with more roundness to them too. they look like they're deflated

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 11 05-05-2010 , 01:01 AM
Lifetime Member
Well so far the name has been apt Chirone!! bahahaha he is a little devil, (unlike me, I was an angel).

Yeh the arms do but when you look at the character they are really flat at the top. They almost angle from the elbow straight into the shoulder. Its kinda weird, I dont know if it is by design or not.

The wife took the camers so I cant show you but when you look front on the arm angles in from the elbow and almost loses 0.5 of width.

cheers bullet

P.S any tips to improve the graphic from PS to Maya would help guys. The resolution when pulling back into Maya sucks. as you can see

bullet1968

# 12 10-05-2010 , 02:44 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok guys,

his 'basheen gun' as Loki calls it. Only the mag to do and its done, the hat is done. Im just having trouble in PS getting good res on the details. Dont know how to get around that just yet, Im sure I will be Googling and learning.

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 13 11-05-2010 , 07:51 AM
Lifetime Member
whilst doodling and trying to remember how to draw I did a bullet for me, Bullet. Now I have done it and applied to my avatar how the HELL do I get a good res @ 100 x 100 and 20k!!!!!!!!! I did everything my feeble mind could think of in PS, Maya etc etc ad nauseum!! HELP

here is the nice looking one, not my crappy avatar.

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 14 11-05-2010 , 10:16 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok basheen gun done and dusted, render in Maya, no need to get technical?? I have the shirtfront etc to do in PS, as soon as I learn to get a high res on it!!! (thats got me stumped).

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 15 11-05-2010 , 10:17 AM
Lifetime Member
And Legoman!!

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968