Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-11-2010 , 06:46 PM
Administrator

New Simply Maya Site

Hi everyone,

We have completed the new Simply Maya site and in order for us to be able to integrate the old and new database we will take the site off-line for a few hours some time over the next 24 hours. So I just wanted to give you a warninguser added image

The new site is great, we're really happy with the way the design came out and all the new features we've added. The community will have a lot more space on this site and we intend to make it a fresh start for Simply Maya so me and David hope you'll all be around and still make this the best Maya community online.

In case anyone's worried the site will keep it's identity, we decided to move away from the Simply3DWorld concept that was mentioned a few years back. We believe that there's plenty of sites for multiple apps and one of the unique features is that this is a clean Maya site so that's how it will stay in the future as well.

Thanks for all the help and understanding,
Nilla

# 2 28-11-2010 , 07:22 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Re: New Simply Maya Site

Originally posted by Miss_Nova

In case anyone's worried the site will keep it's identity, we decided to move away from the Simply3DWorld concept that was mentioned a few years back. We believe that there's plenty of sites for multiple apps and one of the unique features is that this is a clean Maya site so that's how it will stay in the future as well.

Thanks for all the help and understanding,
Nilla

I assume discussion and posts involving other apps won't be discouraged... As they weren't before.

Anyway, can't wait to see the new site.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 3 28-11-2010 , 08:10 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
one thing i love about this site was that it loads extremely fast even if your on a mobile phone i hope that wont change

# 4 28-11-2010 , 09:37 PM
Lifetime Member
Cant wait...fresh site...new things etc..this should be good.

bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 28-11-2010 , 09:42 PM
Administrator
@Mayaniac: Other software discussions are always welcome, I just wanted to mention Simply3dWorld as there were a lot of discussions on this a few years back before my time and we do have the sites for Lightwave and Max as well. There was also a forum thread on this a few months back so I wanted to bring it up.

On the new Simply Maya we want to provide more diverse training than we currently have on this site, we will start by building up a lighting and dynamics section, and to do so for more than one application and keep the same quality across it would be a nightmare. Also to integrate the boards across the sites wouldn't really work as Simply Max has never had a community and Simply Lightwave has been dropping off over the past year. One of the great things about SM is that people usually get good repies to their questions as there's some great Maya knowledge in this community, and to expect the same level of knowledge for Lightwave and Max would probably be expecting a bit much and might end up damaging the community rather than enriching it we think. So that's the reason for why Simply Maya will remain a clean Maya site, rather than becoming Simply3dWorld.
@murambi: The site will be slower for the first weeks while we work out all the kinks, but after that it should run as fast as the current site does.

# 6 29-11-2010 , 04:13 AM
EduSciVis-er
# 7 29-11-2010 , 05:55 AM
Super Moderator
Yay! But what will become of the SimplyMax/Lightwave sites?

- Genny
# 8 29-11-2010 , 06:29 AM
Administrator
Haha, I'm glad you "like" stwertuser added image I tell you what, we got those nice little like buttons all over the site and in the end we really didn't like. So they went, if that will be the fall of Simply Maya well then it was a huge mistake. I reserve the right to "like" in the future though...

Gen, for Simply Lightwave it will go through the same transformation as Simply Maya. I love the lighting content on that site, it's some of the best online. It will have to happen some time after Christmas though, when I've had a chance to recover from the 600 hours of Maya video I've watched and me and David are not only communicating via skype anymore. The amount of work that goes into turning these sites around is huge, I think that's why it took him so many yearsuser added image Simply Max is a pretty dead site so it's a story for another year, it's difficult to build when there's not really that much to build on. We decided to focus on Maya and Lightwave instead for now.

Also David's started to integrate the forums so there might be some problems with the site from now and for a few days until the new one is up I'm not sure exactly how long it will take until it's done.

# 9 29-11-2010 , 07:48 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
At last!!

Well done to you both, especially to Nilla for holding the gun to Daves head.

I better get some new pants now to celebrate, these others have worn thin sitting on my arse all day, and theres only so much life left in them even after turning them inside out day in day out!!

cheers
Jay

# 10 29-11-2010 , 08:26 AM
Subscriber

# 11 29-11-2010 , 11:29 AM
Administrator
Cheers Jayuser added image He actually deserves a lot of credit though for his work on the new site, I never knew how good he was at web design. You just have to stop him from adding too many funny icons because he really likes them, like child.

We will take back the simplymaya.com domain name again for the new site, the forum will be under that one as well. So changes will comeuser added image

# 12 30-11-2010 , 07:32 AM
Administrator
So, it's time for the annual snow chaos in continental europe again, every year it snows and every year they're just as surprised and all communication and transport breaks down. Being swedish i find this highly entertaining.

Anyway, the snow's caused our internet connection to slow down and drop out too much in order for us to establish a proper connection with the server so the site will stay online until everything starts working again here in the third world.

As soon as we have a proper connection the site will go offline.

# 13 01-12-2010 , 09:00 AM
Subscriber
took me a while to see where the login button was but this site is looking really really clean and tidy.

hmm, i wonder what this site looked like with the out-of-place "like" buttons.. I have to say though, the facebook stuff really does look amateur, so it's probably best that I haven't seen the "like" buttons pasted everywhere

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 14 01-12-2010 , 09:56 AM
The site is looking nice!

And I really like the sound of monthly challenges, I'll be visiting here more often again methinks....

# 15 01-12-2010 , 10:07 AM
Lifetime Member
Well well well...doesnt this look snazzy!!! Like a new shed with neverending beer in the beer fridge....I think its pretty damn goos so far.

Cheers bullet

user added image

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes