Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 22-10-2003 , 01:28 PM
to be honest with you I think that if you want to get a good mark then you are being overly ambitious with what you want to achieve (bearing in mind that you are using maya for the first time). You are looking at at least 3 major areas of CG environments, Character Animation and Particles/Paint FX You would be much better advised to drop probably two of those and concentrate your efforts on one. It takes a lot longer than yo umay think to get this stuff right and it's one of the things I've seen over and over again where people try too much instead of concentrating on one thing and doing it really well. e.g.

Lets say you do all three and have floursacks and deserts etc and you do then in a mediocre manner where nothing is particularly great. What sort of mark will you get? not a particularly great one.

however if you do just a floursack (or two with different accesories) or just the desert then you can really go to town and make it look great which IMHO will get you a great mark (well it would if I was marking it user added image)

For me if you just did the floursack with some nice (SIMPLE) animation on it and render it really well and put some thought into it then that could be a really nice project. You could lose the background all together. What about having a train track that's going thru a really simple white space and then do your florusack animation there? it doesnt have to be in a desert does it?

Or you could just have the desert and do some nice slow fly thru's of your environment. I feel that either of those ideas will attract a better mark than your full blown story, simply because of your lack of experience.

Sorry if this sounds a little negative, I hope you see where I'm coming from and that it makes some sense to you.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 17 22-10-2003 , 01:36 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yeah, I'd have to agree. One of the largest problems with projects (especially those done by one person) is trying to do more than one person is capable of in a short amount of time. Especially if they have to learn it first.

# 18 22-10-2003 , 02:25 PM
i donĀ“t work alone, we are a group of 2 persons.

the rail, the handcar and the flour sack is finished.

befor we start animating we need a nice landscape... that is why i post here.

but both of you are right... we would need more..much more time, but we will not get it.

some students did their projects duriong holidays, and of course tey will get a better mark for that. But we would like to create that now an not in future holidays... so we have to find a way out of this time disaster.

hope you understand what i want you to say.
sorry about my english...i think ist ok, but not pretty well :-((

# 19 22-10-2003 , 03:06 PM
I still like your idea... and well you could still pull it off if you keep things simple.

...and that is how I saved the world.