Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 02-03-2004 , 10:47 PM

Perspective Drawing

What are the best methods to practice perspective drawing? It’s something I have difficulty with, especially in character/concept design. I know the main answer would probably be just to practice, but are there any tasks specifically designed for this.

And does anyone know of art classes in London (part time or shot) where this is the focus? I plan to study illustration next year, and I recently saw a shot course in Life Drawing for Animators so I’m sure I’ll learn this there but am looking for something to get me on my way and to help my portfolio.

Cheers user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 2 03-03-2004 , 04:30 AM
i'm with ya on the first question... user added image

# 3 03-03-2004 , 04:32 AM
If i was over there i'd give you some lessons=)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 03-03-2004 , 06:16 AM
Subscriber

# 5 03-03-2004 , 02:00 PM
Perspective is everywhere. After you learn about vanishing points, make a conscious effort to look around your house and make a game of figuring out the perspective from different angles....how each piece of furniture may have their own vanishing points. Walk down the street and do the same thing. Then just draw and draw and draw...keep it simple using boxes and vanishing points.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 6 03-03-2004 , 06:36 PM
thanx a lot Pony & NitroLiq, getting a grasp of it already!!.. user added image

# 7 04-03-2004 , 12:35 AM
for everyday practice, spend time drawing real places and or people somewhere in your area. maybe the park or something. and like they said up there, perspective is everywhere, even at this view youre looking at right now, reading this. =D

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 8 04-03-2004 , 11:32 PM
Cheers Pony & NitroLiq.

I think things can get messy when i get into curvature prespective. Practice should help though user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 9 05-03-2004 , 05:35 PM
I tend to make dots in important visual anchors in the scene I am drawing, and then begin to connect the lines. I also like to draw scenes by shading only the shadows, allowing the negative space to be the defining element....

Lungs not guns....
# 10 05-03-2004 , 10:05 PM
...and that phrase shows at least 1 year drawing classes n practice user added image...

on a differen note... try to ask and find the high school technical drawing books, they will contain everything you need to know (to start ) on perspective/conics/composition relationships/ space transformations and all kind of curious sidebars like "moebius bands, spheres and infinite", well at least mines did... user added image
Also take a look at M.C.Escher drawings he is a case of "when you´ve learnt the rules, break em"

An interesting technique is: using compass, "bevel?" and "square?" rulers to make a three vanishing points drawing (from a top+optional ortographic view sketches) on a big piece of paper (Din A3 photocopy preferred). You frist put in perspective cubic placeholders(taken from the top+optional ortographic view) and then by hand and with the help of a curve ruler, the ellipses ruler and a normal ruler make the shapes... Then enhance and add value by inking with (0.2/0.8) rotrings and ballpoint v5pilots. Add hard shadows with black Eddings, and shade with 25%/50%/75% grey markers+white pencil or white gouache. (and then scan, color tint and furter tweak in photoshop)

When you have done enough 3vanishing points drawings with rulers and following the techniques you can go trying to make it by hand(and merging steps as you feel like but for starting i´d reccomend doing it by steps, following the rules and as many times as you have time).

Or you can just take "artistic" drawing the "insert word here" classes...

Or, of course, you can just Simply use Maya... user added image

And now i come to think about Escher, and on a plane totally different from drawing...anybody has read the book "Godel,Bach,Escher"? (and can honestly recommend it (Math PhD´s discarded)) Im not sure if it would be worth buying and wading trough it...

Last edited by dragonfx; 06-03-2004 at 07:44 PM.