Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 28-01-2005 , 06:27 PM
Subscriber
Here's a very short animation of the queen practising one of her spells, the Firelance. I'm planning to have her have several different spells, but I don't know yet. C&C most welcome!

Anyway, here's a pic to get your interest, and please download the video and tell me what you think!

user added image

DOWNLOAD video here (1,92 MB)

edit: video is down, and project is closed - I got a job which is making me very busy user added image. When/if I reopen the project I will repost the video. Sorry user added image.

------------------------------------------------
Latest project:
Walk-Cycle
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Last edited by MixX; 10-05-2006 at 03:58 PM.
# 17 29-01-2005 , 12:11 PM
Subscriber
Very nice.. I dont thinmk the spell glow should go quite so far up her arm though

# 18 29-01-2005 , 12:23 PM
Subscriber
hmm, will give that a try... maybe some "tentacles" of power crawling up her arm.. anyway, the king is all but done, he doesn't have a weapon yet but it'll probably be a mace of some sort, you know that thing kings have (a scepter?)...

user added image

Latest project:
Walk-Cycle
# 19 29-01-2005 , 05:48 PM
just out of curiosity are the black pieces gonna be the same, just a different color? and if so can you post one?

# 20 29-01-2005 , 05:52 PM
Subscriber
yes, I'm planning to make the pieces the same, though maybe different weapons (axes for the knights, halberds for the pawns, that kind of thing), and definetely different magic effects for the queens (they're my favorites, so they get the most of my time..).

Can't post one at this time as I haven't made the shader for them yet, but soon enough I'll be done with the initial posing of each piece, and then I'm going to need some opponents for them.. at which point I'll get round to shading them user added image

Latest project:
Walk-Cycle
# 21 29-01-2005 , 05:53 PM
awesome. i think the magic that the black queen has should be dark purple.

# 22 29-01-2005 , 05:55 PM
Subscriber
yes I was thinking along those lines as well, fireballs and that "firelance" I already did for the white queen, purple "lightning" like things and maybe some skulls for the black queen... (thinking up the stuff is the fun part.. fortunately, I find making the stuff fun too user added image)

Latest project:
Walk-Cycle
# 23 30-01-2005 , 10:07 PM
Subscriber
just a quick pic of the scepter before I bind it to the king.. if anyone has some quick ideas bring 'em out user added image

once the king is done, I have all the pieces arrayed, so that'll be the white set done.. then for the black ones, which won't be too much work (I hope..a few tweaks, but basically just a copy)... and finally, the fun part... the fighting user added image

user added image

and another angle:

user added image

Latest project:
Walk-Cycle
# 24 30-01-2005 , 10:21 PM
looking good

but just one criticism. When the queen's left arm returns to her side, it is very rigid. I think you should introduce some motion at the elbow too, and then have the elbows rotation occur a few frames after the rotation at the shoulder to get a more natural motion. I hope you know what i mean.

# 25 30-01-2005 , 10:51 PM
Subscriber
yeah I think I know what you mean. I'll be redoing all the motions anyway, the first one was just a sample/test, to see if the skeleton was set up right. I'm planning to make it look a lot more like she's pushing the fire out, with a twist in the waist, lowered shoulder etc... I want it to look like doing magic is really hard work.... But it's definetely one of the major problem areas for me, I often have a hard time getting motions to look right.. hoping the vids from Mike's book can help me, haven't had time to watch them yet... I appreciate the input!

Latest project:
Walk-Cycle

Last edited by MixX; 30-01-2005 at 11:01 PM.
# 26 02-02-2005 , 11:10 AM
Subscriber
here's a pic of "The Black Knight"...

user added image

it's easiest to see the black marble at the top of the helmet..

Latest project:
Walk-Cycle
# 27 02-02-2005 , 06:07 PM
looks good but can we get a shot with more light?

# 28 02-02-2005 , 07:50 PM
Subscriber
this is as light as it is going to get, unless I make the shader itself lighter... (which I don't want to, I quite like the fact that he appears half shadowed)...

user added image

Latest project:
Walk-Cycle
# 29 02-02-2005 , 09:10 PM
oh my bad i was looking at it on my school's monitors it looks great in both renders. my school's obviously cheapo user added image

# 30 02-02-2005 , 10:35 PM
Subscriber
Hey mixx,

This looks pretty good so far! Just the only two things i'd comment on is that your going to have to make sure that the tower you made doesn't interfere with the other squares. It has those side towers on it, great idea, but the side towers are going to have to be taller than any other piece on the board so if there beside that player.. its not going to be an interference. I haven't read all the posts so im not sure if you've already got that under control. Also the other thing i was wondering is, you think you could take a picture of some concrete outside and use that as your texture? Maybe marble :O. I know the game your talking about, its awesome.. haha. Its even in starwars in the original ones, when there on the millenium falcon user added image.

I don't know if you've figured out all of them already.. but these are what we call the pieces here in canada:

Pawn
Tower
Knight
Bishop
King
Queen

I really like the dark red glow you have under the knights visor right now, very cool user added image. Keep it up!

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com