Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 19-02-2005 , 07:57 PM
Subscriber

Another NURBS tesselation question!

Sorry guys, but I have a quick question on tesselation of NURBS.

I have a scene trying to make a wheel alloy using a load of circular fillets and trims. When I started, the render looked awful with large gaps in between the various bits. After looking through the forum and searching the net I managed to get it down so it looked alittle bit better (the attached image) but stil not quite.

It would be great is someone could list the 'checkpoints' I should be ticking off before I render the image?

So far my I have -

'Set NURBS Tesselation Options' - Curvature Tolerance - Highest Quality / U and V divison factor 5.000

Render at production quality with Highest Quality Edge Anti-aliasing.

I also have followed the folowing settings given by mtmckinley in another post
'You'll want to play with the settings, but the settings I use is to turn Explicit Tessellation (also called Advanced Tessellation) ON. Curvature Tolerance to HIGH quality. Use Chord Hieght Ratio OFF'

Anything else..... please user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 20-02-2005 , 11:58 AM
if your using mental ray use the surrface approximation tool to change the NURBS tesselation. Mental ray cant render NURBS as they are it just converts into polys.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 3 20-02-2005 , 02:29 PM
Subscriber
I was just using Maya software to render it, should I be using Mental Ray exclusively?

Cheers for any help

# 4 22-02-2005 , 09:20 AM
i practically only use mental ray now, its nice if you know how to optimize the settings, otherwise it can be chuggy. Try with both and compare results

FX supervisor - double negative