Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 08-09-2003 , 09:33 AM
Subscriber
really nice darkware

i espessially like the loo it looks like it's going to be very detailed

look forward to seeing it more

alex

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au
# 32 08-09-2003 , 03:29 PM
Subscriber
Hey, your doing this exactly like its supposed to be done! Great job so far!

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 33 08-09-2003 , 08:40 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for all the comments and encouragement guys. I have to admit that I feel ten times as motivated to model when I know there are people out there who are interested in my work. It's very uplifting. Thanks again.

# 34 08-09-2003 , 08:49 PM
Subscriber
Just want to add to all the compliments.

This is looking like a great level. Well done user added image
Can't wait to see the textures go on.

# 35 09-09-2003 , 01:53 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Chris. Hopefully, I can start on the textures around the 15th of the month. First half will be modeling, and the last half will be texturing since I'm not that experienced in that field.

I have completed the basic design of the elevators finally and have finally gotten around to finishing the room with all the cyndrilical tanks. It's hard to find time to work on this thing with school.....

# 36 09-09-2003 , 06:41 AM
Subscriber

cool level

Hi Darkware,
I have enjoyed watching this take shape, looks awesome already. !! user added image
And thanks for adding the comments, I'm trying to understand what this 'Freeze transformations' does at the moment, will have to wait until I'm off work again, then I will look into it more.

Regards Scraggy

# 37 09-09-2003 , 11:32 AM
Subscriber
Hey, I can tell you right now. Freeze Tranformations resets the object's coordinates to 0,0,0. It does not move the object back to the origin, however as you might think. An example would be for me to create a cube. Its 0,0,0 is directly on the origin of the grid. I can move it to 5,0,0. If I freeze transformations on it now, It will stay at 5,0,0 but in the channel box it will say 0,0,0. So in essance, the new origin for the cube is 5,0,0.

Difficult to understand maybe, but try it a few times and you'll figure out what it's good for.

# 38 09-09-2003 , 05:34 PM
Subscriber
Look forward to updates - I found the stuff on how you overcame the problems very interesting and helpful, thanks.

# 39 10-09-2003 , 04:00 AM
Subscriber
Mainframes completed, cubicals completed, hologram projector completed, elevators completed, cyndrilical tank room 80% completed.

The hologram projection will be similar to the ones found in games such as Metroid Prime and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Basically, it's just a sphere with a targa image that is for the most part fully transparent for the exception of a few items such as planet orbit paths, planets, and other various things.

Don't worry. The red, yellow, and blue colorings for the elevator are not permanent. They serve a different purpose for an experiment I did which I will not explain now. Although the elevator system is deprived of a few walls, it does actually work in-game. The doors are located on the yellow and blue pieces. The actual elevator does not have any doors, however it does have a rectangle entance and exit which you cannot see in the images I have provided below. It's sort of hard to explain, but when you are in the player's view, you won't notice the difference.

The cyndrilical tank room is almost done. I have added railings and the tanks themselves, which took longer than one would have expected.

As for the hallways, which technically are not a part of this challenge, I deleted the entire system I had built since all copies were not instanced and rebuilt it with instanced copies since that's what Mike said would happen in the game anyway. All duplicates of any object are instanced. The same goes for all vertical railing pieces. I erased them all and instance copied them over again.

Attached Thumbnails
# 40 10-09-2003 , 04:06 AM
Subscriber
Container tank completed as well. I will probably model an alien of some sort of perhaps a human after the challenge and stick him/her/it inside and hook a few cables up to him/her/it on the arms, back of the neck, and legs.

Yes, I know. It's creepy.

Oh how I wish I could work on this project at school.....

Attached Images
# 41 10-09-2003 , 12:21 PM
The Maya Mountain
Cool stuff, Dark! Looking forward to textures. user added image

# 42 10-09-2003 , 08:20 PM
Subscriber
Really nice; I like all the little booths - one can visualise people wired to the machines in those. I think it has atmosphere already and you can 'see' where it is going. I like the way the different levels and platforms are set out in the room with the tanks - looks very playable with lots of cover and yet room for dramatic blazing shootouts or, in the dark, things for creepy things hide behind and leap out at you.

# 43 10-09-2003 , 08:37 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the comments guys. As for the atmosphere, you are correct about the layout being suited towards a first person shooter type game. I have analyzed multiple fps's throughout the past few years and have come to know what gamers like and don't like from personal experience and from reading threads on other forums about certain games. You have to stick yourself in the player's shoes and figure out what flys and what doesn't.

Personally, I enjoy designing multiplayer levels rather than regular mission levels because you can embed more stratigic points in the level for ambushes, sniper points, basic combat, etc. The solo missions are usually very linear, which means you have to have some kind of a plot to follow for the objectives, which translates into specially designed areas, which cannot be done unless you have a plot line to follow.

Anyway, off to work again.

# 44 11-09-2003 , 01:52 AM
Subscriber
Well, as soon as I came home today I was greeted by some friends of mine. My mother had invited them over earlier to swim and they ended up staying here until 9:45 pm. Obviously, my presence was required the entire time, so I was unable to work on my challenge. I have a ton of homework to do now and probably won't get done until midnight. This is the first day so far that I have not worked on my project! This makes me very angry because I have a limited time to complete this thing and I'm already pressed for time because of the emense amount of homework I get every day. I look forward to coming home and modeling for a few hours before I go to bed every night and when I'm not able to do that it's a really big let-down.

I don't know if I'll be able to finish this thing in time. I have so much to do in so little time! 1/3 of the month is already gone! Hopefully, I will be able to give you all an update tomorrow and will get a chance to do some work.

# 45 11-09-2003 , 06:32 AM
Subscriber
You might not be aware of it but it is very motivating to see someone like you who is so energetic and passionate about what they love. Indeed life is very short for all the interesting things for us to do, and I hope we always live our everyday to the fullest.