Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 26-04-2012 , 12:33 PM

Can't create simple polygon cube "Cannot find procedure Insert"

Attached is the screenshot...I tried reinstalling but problem persists, looks like some libs are missing, any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 26-04-2012 , 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Have you tried contacting Autodesk?

- Genny
# 3 26-04-2012 , 03:23 PM
Subscriber
Try this: Close Maya, delete pref folder, open Maya.

# 4 26-04-2012 , 06:18 PM
lol is all I can say. You fix everything in Maya now by deleting your maya folder I guess. haha

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 26-04-2012 , 09:05 PM

Try this: Close Maya, delete pref folder, open Maya.

lol and it worked...thanks a lot!

# 6 26-04-2012 , 09:21 PM
Just a tip. Once you have a working setup, make a copy of your maya folder. I can pretty much guaranty if the prefs files have gotten corrupted once they will again. If you have customized your interface and do not want to have to redo it all over every time maya takes a crap on itself you can just use the backup maya folder.

Also, it is usually just one file that gets flumuxed. docs / maya / version / prefs / userprefs.mel

You can just backup this file and replace it to save you other stuff like you shelves, icons, scripts, marking menus, and hotkeys from being destroyed.

They need to investigate the prefs file corruption issue as it is getting out of hand and when you consider all the things that wiping your maya folder affects it is a serious problem.

I mean seriously, how many people would be willing to accept a program that every third time you try to run it you have to practically do a re-install.

I can see the news report now ... "The city of New York was reduced to ashes today as workers had to reset the nuclear reactors control software. Engineers blame a fault in the software that randomly corrupted the programs control settings. Autodesk, the manufacturer of the software, claims this is not a "universal" problem as at least one other major nuclear plant uses the software and has not exploded."

...yet user added image

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 27-04-2012 at 12:19 AM.
# 7 26-04-2012 , 10:52 PM
Lifetime Member

I can see the news report now ... "The city of New York was reduced to ashes today as workers had to reset the nuclear reactors control software. Engineers blame a fault in the software that randomly corrupted the programs control settings. Autodesk, the manufacturer of the software, claims this is not a "universal" problem as at least one other major nuclear plant uses the software and has not exploded."

lol ... funniest thing I've read all day.

# 8 26-04-2012 , 10:54 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL ooohhhh Rick you devil...Im with Mark! That just put a smile on an early morning dial he he he he he

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 26-04-2012 , 10:55 PM
Lifetime Member

...yet

Bwwahahaha So true

- Jake
# 10 30-04-2012 , 01:03 AM
I agree with ctb, I mean how hard is it to fix a simple issue like this? There are all kinds of bugs with saving preferences, if I didn't know any better I would say the software was in 'alpha' stage, but this is v2013 for god sakes....Also having problems with saving render prefs too

# 11 30-04-2012 , 10:26 AM
The Nurb Herd
i work in a huge office with people using maya all day and these basic problems never happen for us. I've never once had to delete preferences and don't know anyone who has. When i see people on here complaining about the software, i can't help but think its some how user error.

# 12 30-04-2012 , 11:07 AM

i work in a huge office with people using maya all day and these basic problems never happen for us. I've never once had to delete preferences and don't know anyone who has. When i see people on here complaining about the software, i can't help but think its some how user error.

good for you....maybe it is to do with the fact that your workstations are essentially dumb terminals..I bet you have no admin privileges right? can't install or unzip stuff? Some of us have to use the toolset beyond that restricted environment

# 13 30-04-2012 , 12:41 PM
SM Tea Boy

I have problems with Maya, I can assure you it's not user error user added image I have one machine that was custom built just for Maya, I never have any problems with it. I think most peoples problems stem from the fact that Maya works well on a pretty narrow sub set of hardware.

Install Maya on an machine with a AMD Radeon HD 6700 series gfx card and with the latest driver (well been several months since i did this) You can't select polygons in the viewport. User error no. Driver / Hardware incompatibility yes.

I believe Maya 2012 already has 4 hot fixes and 2 service packs to fix errors in the software that had nothing to do with user error.

On a home PC with mismatched and often cheaper hardware Maya can bit a pain in the ass to get running without errors. Bit unfair to say it works on hardware specifically built by a studio for Maya so all the other probs must me user error.

Might as well say if you have not spent at least $4000 bux on your machine don't complain. would be nice but it's a bit unrealistic for the average student. I could just reply to pretty much any Maya problem thread go buy yourself an NVIDIA Quadro 5000 and an INTEL Core i7-3960X Maya will run just fine, I've used it on this hardware never had a problem.

Maya does not run well on hardware it does not like, and there is a bucket load of hardware it don't like so these threads are going to keep pooping up.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 14 30-04-2012 , 01:09 PM
Dom: I have been using Maya since version 1. When I post these problems I can guarantee they are not user errors. I am also in the beta test program so I see the daily bug reports!

You have to be pretty narrow minded to select one subset of systems, probably all pretty close in design and purpose built to run Maya, and then try to make the statement that because they all run fine (that you know of) then everyone else's problems must be user error! That is a pretty arrogant statement as well. As if your use of Maya and the small subset of hardware you run it on somehow represents a fully qualified testing of every aspect of Maya!

Maya has always run on a very narrow range of hardware and ever since QT I can speak from experience far greater then yours that this range has become even more limited!

The issues I and others are experiencing are most likely due to the very limited range of hardware that Maya runs cleanly on and are certainly not due to user error. But hardware limitations should not be used as an excuse for poor software design! There are plenty of very sophisticated 3D applications that run just fine on a much broader range of hardware without problems like the ones I am consistently seeing in Maya.

I use at least half a dozen other graphics intensive applications including Inventor, Solid Works, and Modo and none of them have anywhere near the instability of Maya! Especially, since the introduction of the QT API.

Last edited by ctbram; 30-04-2012 at 04:19 PM.
# 15 30-04-2012 , 02:50 PM
The Nurb Herd
god you get so easily offended. I wasn't even talking about you and your X number of years experience.
It was just my opinion that as this is predominantly a forum for beginners, a lot of these errors could quite easily be user error and perhaps not the fault of the software. deleting the preferences might not be the 'go to' solution for all of this.

I've used maya on a 6yo macbook no problem, but yes i see your point everyone. no i dont have root privileges, yes i can unzip things, yes i use a boxx workstation which is actually quite old and finally yes good for me.