Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 08-11-2007 , 02:17 PM

Inserting Edge Loops

Hi,
I am trying to insert an edge loop at the point marked by the big red arrow. Notice that the edges have been selected. I am trying to use the Insert Edge Loop Tool but under no circumstances can I get the loop to be inserted. I can get the very same process to work using a polygonal cylinder but not this object.:headbang:

Btw, to select the edges I am using a convoluted process of marking two edges then converting them to edge loops, and then I convert the selected edge loops to a vertices selection then convert that selection to edges then shrink that selection once. This works but there must be a better way. Obviously I'm very new at this so it would be nice if anyone has any tips on how to improve this process and how to insert the edge loop.

Thank you,
Ron

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-11-2007 , 02:32 PM
I just noticed that the SM forum has a Maya Basics area so this question may be more appropriate there. Let me know if I should repost it there.

Thanks

# 3 08-11-2007 , 03:16 PM
Subscriber
at the end of the small segment on the left (maybe on the back too?) you|ve got a n-gon it seems.

the edgloop doesnt know where to go if your surface has ngons.

clean it up and off you go.

# 4 08-11-2007 , 03:34 PM
Hi BadG3r,
I do not know what you mean by n-gons or how to go about cleaning them but it will give me something to study up on. However, I did follow your lead and look more closely at what I had going on and noticed there was a bunch of extraneous CVs. Ironically the offending CV's were just where I needed the new edge loop to be.:shakehead

Thank you very muchuser added image
:bow:

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 08-11-2007 , 06:43 PM
Jr.Who
So did it work?

# 6 08-11-2007 , 06:48 PM
Yesuser added image - deleted the extra CVs and the edge loop inserted as expected. I still have to brush up on cleaning my ngons but I can take care of that tomorrow.